PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker parts depots

Studebaker Wheel
03-13-2013, 05:40 PM

Some months ago there was a discussion here regarding Studebaker's parts depots. Recently I located a booklet from the early 60s showing the various locations with numerous photos and data. Since it is an extra I have listed it on Ebay for anyone who may be interested. More details and photos: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121080063961

LarkTruck
03-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Nice item Mr. Quinn. I can remember going to the Phila (Devon) Depot with my Dad as a kid. Some years ago I bought a Lark Ladies Wristwatch on ebay from a gal who was a secretary there. That, and an old sales receipt, with have to do as my momentos from Devon. Someday I will have to take a drive and see if the building still stands.
Jim

BobPalma
03-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Is that Chris Dresbach on Pages 6 and 7? :ohmy: BP

Milaca
03-13-2013, 10:46 PM
The area of each depot zone is interesting. I assume the area is based upon the amount of registered Studebakers there. The South Bend depot covers a very small area as I would assume it has the highest concentration of Studebakers, whereas the Minneapolis depot covers Montana, North and South Dakota, Minnesota, and parts of Iowa, Wisconsin and Upper Michigan as I would deduce that few Studebakers were sold west of Minneapolis.

Chris_Dresbach
03-14-2013, 01:12 AM
Is that Chris Dresbach on Pages 6 and 7? :ohmy: BP

Yup, I've been secretly on the job longer than anybody thinks! While wondering about the woods behind the Chippewa Plant I stumbled into the fountain of youth; I'm really 106! ;)

I've seen those photos before and eventually I would like to get copies of them and put them somewhere at the plant for the tours. See the flatbed roll carts that the worker is using? I STILL use those exact same carts every single day I clock in!! Many of them still have their original Studebaker numbers painted on them and "SASCO" down the sides. They're cool because they can latch together into a long train. Back in the day at Plant 8 if they had a large order to fill they could hook together as many of those carts as needed and pull them around the building with a forklift or banny to speed up getting them to the loading docks. Today we don't pull them with the forklift. Instead, I like to connect about four or five of them at a time, load them with parts for an order, and pull them all at the same time like Heman as the boss looks at the specticle in disbelief... ;)

ROADRACELARK
03-14-2013, 09:52 AM
The one shown in Georgia is outside the Atlanta area in the city of Stone Mountain. Very familiar with it.....the building, that is.

Dan Miller
Auburn, GA