Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker-Wolfe Tire Company, Marion Ohio 1923

Hi,

I thought I would ask the group this question. I purchased, over the weekend, a real photo post card from 1923 showing President Harding's funeral train pulling into Marion Ohio. The picture shows the Studebaker-Wolfe Tires plant that once stood on the Big Tracks at Lincoln Street.

I'm a former president of the Marion County Ohio historical society and we knew that factory occupied that building in the early 1920s (previous to that it housed Houghton Sulky Company, and then Ackerman Piano), but what we can't ascertain is whether the Studebaker-Wolfe Tire Co. was affiliated with Studebaker in South Bend.

Does anyone know?

Stu Koblentz-Haley

Never heard of that one, but I did find this:

http://tinyurl.com/ashmfet
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker wulff rubber ad.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1679352

No there was no connection between the Studebaker Corp. of car fame and the Studebaker-Wulff Rubber Co. of Marion, Ohio (note corrected spelling of Wulff). I have a copy of a letter from Sept 1923 from vice president B.F. Wulff detailing the companies progress with reference to opening a new tire plant in Carey. At that time shares were selling for $51. Note in the photo below the young man has made a swing from a Studebaker-Wulff tire!

Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker tire forum.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1679353
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

For what is may be worth there was also a Studebaker Oil Refining Company at about the same time. It had offices in South Bend and new York. No connection with them either.
        Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 03-13-2013, 10:57 AM. Reason: duplicated
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
        X