Gas gauge 57 silver hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Gas gauge 57 silver hawk

Hows it going guys? Im going to be working on my grandmas 57 silverhawk now the weather is getting better and 1 of the first things I was looking in to doing is fixing the gas gauge. I was just woundering if there is a need for a wiring diagram or is it just a simple power through a potentiometer through gauge set up. And if anyone knows where to find 1. Thanks

It is plenty simple, there is a hot (12V) when Ignition on, wire from the Ignition switch to the BOTTOM Term. of the Gauge (Dash Unit).

There is a wire to the Tank Unit on the Top Term. that gets a REGULATED amount of "Ground" (resistence) from the sender based on fuel level, so no actual "Power".

The important thing since New Dash Units are not available is finding a Stewart Warner (or other) Replacement (aftermarket) Fuel Gauge that matches the OHM rating of a Studebaker (SW) sending Unit. I believe they are 33 Ohms Empty and 240 Ohms Full.

If you Ground the Sender Wire at the tank, through the hole in the Trunk floor, you should get a "Full" reading, if not it is the wire or the Dash Unit that is defective.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the help! Hopefully ill get into it this week.

Comment

You can by a rebuilt fuel gauge from Brent Hagen for $75. I bought one from him last year and it works like a champ! The fuel gauge for Hawk model years 1956-1961 is the same.

look under the "rebuilt parts" section on that page.

Also: make sure you have the shell of the gas gauge grounded when you are checking your gauge. I thought mine didn't work and it turned out that even though I had it hooked up right it wasn't grounded properly (since the dash is fiberglass and doesn't provide a ground).

Good luck!
        -Ross
        sigpic
        1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Working...
        X