PDA

View Full Version : Engine: timing gear fit 259V8

Tom5663
03-09-2013, 09:46 PM
As we re-assembled my 56 Power Hawk 259, we found the front main bearing seemed to have a slight drag. We determined that the cause of the drag was the new timing gear (part #532130). The teeth in the fiber gear seem just a little too thick to fit completely into the crankshaft gear without stressing the front main bearing. When we removed the timing gear, the drag completely dissapeared. Is this a problem and does anyone have a suggestion to fix this?

JoeHall
03-09-2013, 10:44 PM
If you loosen the front main cap bolts a couple of turns, does it drag less? Was the block "line bored" by any chance? Either of the aforementioned could indicate the crank and cam center lines are closer together than they should be.

Did you use lots of oil on the crank & timing gear teeth? I always hose the teeth down with an oil can just before slipping the gear on.

Is the end play set up properly on the crank?

Tom5663
03-09-2013, 11:03 PM
The drag is less if we back off the main cap bolts. We did not line bore the block but we used new bearings and crankshaft. We also carefully set the end play to spec. The new timing gear has noticibly thicker gear teeth than the used worn one. If I used the old timing gear, there would be no drag. I will try the heavy oiling to see if that will help the gears mesh better.

JoeHall
03-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Is that a repro gear? If push came to shove, I'd run a good serviceable, used gear before I'd run a repro that fit too tight. (I don't know if there is such a thing as a repro though.)

Dwain G.
03-10-2013, 12:00 AM
So I guess there is no measureable backlash in the timing gears when installed? For the first few years of production, the Stude V8 standard cam gear was a 532129 and the 'high limit' gear was 532130 and it was marked with a letter 'H'. Later, the 532129 was dropped and only the 532130 was offered.
This rarely happens, but you might have to make a selective fit with different cam and crank gears.
Measure for correct backlash in four different positions around the gear, and measure camshaft end play.

rkapteyn
03-10-2013, 10:54 AM
As said, the 532130 is the high limit gear.
Try a N.O.S. 532129.
Robert Kapteyn

PackardV8
03-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Anyone had any similar issues with the repro aluminum cam gears?

jack vines

Tom5663
03-11-2013, 10:53 AM
I do not know where I would be able to purchase the 532129. The vendors that I have looked at have the 532130 and that is what I have purchased. I would also like to know what others have found with the aluminum gear. What would be the measurement for the correct backlash?

JoeHall
03-11-2013, 12:43 PM
I do not know where I would be able to purchase the 532129. The vendors that I have looked at have the 532130 and that is what I have purchased. I would also like to know what others have found with the aluminum gear. What would be the measurement for the correct backlash?

The NOS crate motor in our 63GT has an aluminum timing gear. I removed the crank gear to check crank end play when I first got the car last year. I did not notice anything unusual about fit/meshing of those two gears. This thread is first I'd heard of part number differences for different sizes, and don't know if that's also true for aluminum gears. I like y'all but not well enough to pull the motor back apart and look for a part number :)

StudeRich
03-11-2013, 07:34 PM
All V-8 "Factory", OEM Aluminum Cam Gears are Truck Part Number; 1685777 and all are the same Joe.

You would have to think that the "Good" Reproduction Gears now supplied by the Studebaker Parts Wholesaler and some could be left of the Fairborn Studebaker/Ted Harbit reproductions, would be exact copies of the original. :)

Any of the older stock repro LS Gears, not so much. :(

The more current Studebaker superceeded Part Number for the stock Fibre Gear for 532130 is; 1554448 and has been used for about 52 years.