Quaker State Oil ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quaker State Oil ad

Still thumbing thru magazines and found this....
    Attached Files

Do you suppose Studebaker paid for this placement? Maybe Quakerstate thought it was a good looking car.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Great ad; I'd never seen nor heard of it before. Quaker State was headquartered in Oil City, PA, maybe 35 miles from where I grew up. They're not there anymore (shocker). I applied there for a job when I graduated college, and my college roommate has lived there for over thirty years now. Thanks for posting!
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Great ad,......new one on Me!

Comment

Or, if you prefer Pennzoil for drag-racing your 1951 Studebaker Commander Starlight Coupe, like the Sanders-Flanigan Special, you have a couple weeks to buy this famous ad on e-bay:

Note that they won their class at the Detroit 1959 NHRA National Drags with a best time of 16.81 @ 83 mph. That was three years before Ted Harbit appeared at the event [in 1962, after it had moved to Indianapolis Raceway Park] with the newly-hatched Chicken Hawk fresh out of its nest.

I can't find Ted Harbit's best time ever in the Chicken Hawk as a stocker right off, but it's real close to that 16.81 one way or another. I'll ask him and post an edit later. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I collect old magazines and ads, so I started looking for Studebaker stuff, have some farm truck stuff from a few mags too....I can scan and share if you guys are interested.

Comment

This ad brought back memories about the old "Bailey Motors" dealer in Clinton, Tn. that my Dad worked at. I was always fascinated with not only the vehicles, but the banners, posters, parts, tools, etc. and the two "swinging" signs out front. One was Quaker State, and one was Wolfs Head Oil. The Wolfs Head sign was my favorite, it just looked so "mean" when I was young.

Comment

I know that Quaker State took a reputation beating about thirty or so years ago for oil quality, but at our excellent hometown Chevy-Cadillac dealer, that's what they used. I'm thinking it was 'Super Blend' and their top-of-the-line oil was 'DeLuxe'. In our area there were Quaker State gas stations too, always in their trademark white paint with green trim and roofing, and in a unique style of building (not just flat-roofed). Good memories.
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

Near Pittsburgh pa. Suburb Robinson Twp. area is/was not long ago an old Quaker State gas station looking retro looking restaurant called Quaker Steak&Shake. cheers jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                  X