PDA

View Full Version : Got Lucky

oldsalt
03-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Been working on a 47 M16. An friend came by and said he knew where another one is at. Checked it out. Hidden in the junk behind a business that had went bankrupt sat a complete 46. The firewall tag says M16 C2 13341. The watchman said it belonged to a guy that worked there years ago but he lost the title. Went back last Saturday and the watchman said he had talked with the owner whom said "Anyone that wants it can have it". Didn't let my shirt tail hit my butt until I was back with all the tools necessary. By tomorrow the machine will be totally striped. It has a 2speed axle. Is that worth saving? Also a Hydro-Vac set-up and has a Hill-Holder which I have no use for. The engine is not stuck. Like I said...I got lucky. The problem is where to properly store the stuff!

oldsalt
03-06-2013, 01:29 AM
Well, guess I won't save things like the 2 speed rear end; tomorrow morning I'll burn-off the axle ends and save only the brake drums. Make it a lot easier to load. Same with the Hydro-Vac and the Hill-Holder stuff. But the radiator is the best I've seen, the fenders and sheet metal are fine, and the bumper is the best of three that I have. So a lot of things will be saved, not scraped. Can't keep too much of the truck stuff because it is not for a car and nobody can use it.

GThawkwind
03-06-2013, 02:14 AM
I would take the whole thing and take it slow on the parts pulling, ofcourse that is if the owner will let you haul away the whole thing. Post pics if you can that way people will know body parts they might want.

oldsalt
03-06-2013, 03:05 AM
Only a pick-up can even get close to the truck. An 18 wheeler with flat tires is in front of it. Have a friend with a roll-back but would need a D6 to move the 18 wheeler....so taking it home was not an option. Today was my fourth day of wrenching parts off of the machine. Got everything including the speedo cable, instruments, wiper motors, switches and boxes of other small parts. The pics are of the bigger pieces that can stand being outside for a few days. Only the rear glass was not broken. If some one needs something [and I am not needing it for my M16] let me know; I can send small boxes but big items are another story. Shipping doors and hoods and fenders is expensive now that inflation has really hit us. Parcel Post is no more and UPS prices when through the roof. I'm afraid to even ask about motor freight. But if some one is near enough to Walla Walla WA [South East corner of WA] to pick it up that would work. My effort in this was to get a few parts that I had to have and keep the truck from being entirely scrapped. Although not many care about trucks there is bound to be parts that some one wants. As the truck is just one item in a sea of junk, all will be cut up very soon. I'm surprised that has not already happened.

BobPalma
03-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Good on you for saving what you can, Lonny. 'Too bad it is buried so deep. :( BP

8E45E
03-06-2013, 08:10 AM
The big ATHS truck show is coming up in Yakima at the end of May. It could be worth loading up on a trailer and headind there with it, and advertising the parts for sale in the parking lot.

Craig

55 56 PREZ 4D
03-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Do you know about "Studebaker Truck Talk" ?
Many knowledgeable truck people over there.

Effie
03-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Greyhound is good for shipping large items like doors.

oldsalt
03-06-2013, 11:32 PM
The big ATHS truck show is coming up in Yakima at the end of May. It could be worth loading up on a trailer and headind there with it, and advertising the parts for sale in the parking lot.

Craig

Yes Indeed! I heard about that. Have even charted a route that will get my 40 MPH truck there with out interfering with 'normal' traffic. As this may be the first time and only time the national meet is anywhere near the west coast I have every intention of driving my M16 over there....only about 120 miles from here! That is the reason I've spent 5 days disassembling the free truck; some of the parts may save my bacon. Like if, when I get mine running, the trans has problems or I need the radiator or distributor or flywheel & etc.. Really not needing any money so no reason to sell anything, figure I can store the stuff and find out if there is some one else in this area that is working on a M16 that can use some of the stuff. The odometer on the truck said 30,000...probably true from what evidence I saw on some things.

oldsalt
03-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Do you know about "Studebaker Truck Talk" ?
Many knowledgeable truck people over there.

Nope. Did not know it existed! I'll look it up on Google. Thanks.

rockne10
03-06-2013, 11:51 PM
A friend of mine has a newly re-cored M15-16 radiator. He thought it would fit in his M5! :ohmy: His loss, your gain. Actually he is 47M-5 on this forum. If it interests you send him a PM.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/member.php?2967-47M-5

Roscomacaw
03-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Really good to hear you're saving this stuff.