PDA

View Full Version : Remembering March 4th 1966

Stu Chapman
03-03-2013, 08:36 PM
It was 47 years ago today when, at 3:00 pm, I had to announce to the media that Studebaker would no longer build automobiles, while at the same time President Gordon Grundy was telling the employees. Lest we forget.
Stu Chapman

StudeRich
03-03-2013, 08:48 PM
A VERY, very Sad Day indeed Stu.

I was not happy to hear that news because I believed the hipe the Co. had to release that the "Common Sense Car", with little change would continue for many years with a MUCH lower cost of operation, Assembly Plant and more profit. :(

RIP Studebaker.

BobPalma
03-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Not at all unrelated, Stu: Wife and I were in South Bend today for Donald Davidson's presentation. It is just plain weird to drive west on Sample Street from Michigan Avenue to Chapin and see block after block of open scrub grass and short weeds where all those buildings stood for so many years.

If I live long enough, I might get used to it. But it will be a long time. :( BP

Welcome
03-03-2013, 09:12 PM
It was 47 years ago today when, at 3:00 pm, I had to announce to the media that Studebaker would no longer build automobiles, while at the same time President Gordon Grundy was telling the employees. Lest we forget.
Stu Chapman

Thank you for sharing that with us …BUT …may be more interesting to many of us would be to know when YOU first KNEW and when Grundy first KNEW about all this???

As we know from the documented minutes of the Studebaker Corporation Board of Directors meetings at least as far back as August 1963 in which C-L-E-A-R-L-Y indicate they were looking for every way to exit the vehicle manufacturing business in the United States of America and save face in the process. Of course, the offical announcement was not scheduled to be made until nearly 4 months later ...on December 10, 1963.

TIA

Greenstude
03-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Gordon Boss, who with his father, Irvin Boss, owned Maccan Garage in Maccan, Nova Scotia, told me he learned of the end of Studebaker production while listening to a newscast on radio station CKDH, Amherst, Nova Scotia. They had been successful Studebaker dealers since 1940, and were auto dealers from 1921 to 1999. ....... Another interesting comment was made both by Gordon, and by Bill Vaughan, co-owner of Capital Garage in Fredericton, New Brunswick (auto dealers from 1912 to 1977, and successful Studebaker and Packard dealers for many years). Both told me that Studebaker was the only auto manufacturer, among numerous franchises they held, who never pressured them to sell cars. If that situation were common, it could go a long way to explain why Studebaker's sales were not better, especially in the United States where many dealers held competing franchises.

Chris_Dresbach
03-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Sad day indeed. In fact I just saw the last Canadian built car today at the SNM.

Scott
03-03-2013, 11:26 PM
I hope it is some comfort to you Stu, that there are still 1966 Studebakers being driven and enjoyed. I'm a proud owner of my 66 Cruiser even if it isn't in showroom condition (but then neither am I)!

avantilover
03-04-2013, 02:21 AM
Sad day indeed Stu, but you can feel (as I'm sure you do) proud of everything you guys in Hamilton did after South Bend closed. Otherwise, no 1965 and 1966's would have existed.

Stu Chapman
03-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Thank you for sharing that with us …BUT …may be more interesting to many of us would be to know when YOU first KNEW and when Grundy first KNEW about all this???

As we know from the documented minutes of the Studebaker Corporation Board of Directors meetings at least as far back as August 1963 in which C-L-E-A-R-L-Y indicate they were looking for every way to exit the vehicle manufacturing business in the United States of America and save face in the process. Of course, the offical announcement was not scheduled to be made until nearly 4 months later ...on December 10, 1963.

TIA

I don't know for certain when Grundy knew. I knew officially on March 3rd in late morning. Unofficially I knew about two weeks earlier.
Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
03-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Not at all unrelated, Stu: Wife and I were in South Bend today for Donald Davidson's presentation. It is just plain weird to drive west on Sample Street from Michigan Avenue to Chapin and see block after block of open scrub grass and short weeds where all those buildings stood for so many years.

If I live long enough, I might get used to it. But it will be a long time. :( BP

I know exactly how you felt Bob. Every other week for several months now I have visited the demolition site of Studebaker in Hamilton. Before we left for Florida last week the only thing still standing is the outer perimeter wall on the south and east side. I expect it will be gone when we return. Then it will just be a memory.
Stu Chapman

2R5
03-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Hi Stu ....just wanted to let you know all the bricks for York were delivered.

41 Frank
03-04-2013, 01:40 PM
What? You mean you are now smuggling bricks out of your country Bob? LOL

Hi Stu ....just wanted to let you know all the bricks for York were delivered.

2R5
03-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Frank , keep that under your hat <g>

03-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Stu Chapman
I was on an airplane between Honolulu and San Diego. Picked up a newspaper in the reading rack on the plane (back in the days where they gave you something other than the airline magazine). Saw the news article then- almost as bad as hearing on the radio that South Bend was closing

T-CAB
03-04-2013, 07:17 PM
21847Was on my way to the curling rink in Napanee right after school. My dad was about to place an order for a new '66 from Capital Motor Sales in Kingston to replace the old '61 Lark. This was to go along with a white '64 Daytona that we had purchased new in May 1964 and is currently being restored. The '61 Lark was traded fo another '64 Commander in 1968. Dad also purchased annother '64 2-door in 1967 from Vaders Garage in Belleville, Ont.21848

T-cab

57pack
03-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Wore black today...so sad
Like the day the music died.

STEWDI
03-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Hi, T-cab (Bruce)! My Dad's last Stude was bot new from Capital Motors, Kingston! A black '62 GT. How is your cousin Eric doing? It's been a long time! Does he still have the 2R?

Stu - thot of you and the announcement earlier today. Glad that others were thinking along the same lines.

T-CAB
03-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Roger:

Yes, my cousin Eric still has the 2R. I have not seen him for a few years as I now live in Manitoba. I notice he is not a SDC member. Perhaps someone from the Kingston area should track him down. It has been in the family since the mid 50's. Eric's dad also had (has?) a nice '38. We were a real Stude family. My dad's twin brother had a nice '48 that he bought new in Kingston. I have the picture of him driving out from the dealer with it. The Ontario Chapter has a copy of the photo. Dad had a '41, 50, 57, '61, and the three '64's. I now have a '62 T-cab along with a few other's that I hope to restore after the '64 is done.

T-cab