PDA

View Full Version : Wheels White Wall Radials

paintim613
03-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Ours are in need of replacement. Any recommendations of ones that won't cost a small fortune?

junior
03-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Pretty rare birds these days, other than specialty tire companies like Coker and Diamond Back, I can`t really think of where to get some. Have you cruised the TireRack website? Thinking they just don`t have them anymore at your local tire shop... or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkcm3rh60p0

Or this... http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3074

or Portawalls. Years ago (1989) when I worked at a GM dealership, this guy in a step-van would come around to our used car lot and add white walls to our cars to spice them up a bit. He would take the tire and rim off the used car, mount it on what looked like a super slow speed tire balancer that would rotate the tire, then hold a bottle of 'goop' that had a small wheel on the end. As the tire rotated the goop would build up white wall that was about 3/32 of an inch from the side wall. What ever the thinner was in the goop evaporated really fast, and stunk like crazy. By the time the tire was put back on the car the white wall was dry enough to touch. Was really slick system and looked really good...imagine the enviro-police wouldn't allow this type of voc's anymore...plus the operator was in a perma-stoned state. Still, was really cool to watch when I was bored and no one on the lot to sell cars to.

Regards, Junior.

Welcome
03-03-2013, 08:49 PM
>>>Have you cruised the TireRack website?<<< Regards, Junior.

How appropriate that you mentioned "TireRack" as a possible source for tires to fit a Studebaker!!! Were you aware of the "South Bend connection" of Studebakers and TireRack???

junior
03-03-2013, 11:09 PM
How appropriate that you mentioned "TireRack" as a possible source for tires to fit a Studebaker!!! Were you aware of the "South Bend connection" of Studebakers and TireRack???

no...please educate me...just suggested this site because I always find it has lots of useful information. Regards, Junior

ddub
03-04-2013, 12:08 AM
White wall radials are available at local tire stores if you can live with a 3/4 inch white wall.

njonkman
03-04-2013, 09:03 AM
I just got 5 for my 56 Champion from Diamond Back. $209.00 a piece. If you go to their web site you get lots of choices. I like the way they make them. Lots of good info on their web site about construction of the wide white walls and their method of making them as well as their special rubber used for them.
Nick

Welcome
03-04-2013, 09:29 AM
no...please educate me...just suggested this site because I always find it has lots of useful information. Regards, Junior

Well, here is the short of it:

The Studebaker Brothers and the Veldman Brothers both began their vehicle related empires in SOUTH BEND …albeit about a 100 years apart. The Veldman’s created "TireRack" as one of their many business ventures and at one point their only "TireRack" store was in the former Studebaker plant on Chippewa Ave. …where Studebaker International is currently located.

Here is a little more about the Veldman Brother’s "TireRack":
http://www.veldmanfamily.com/G1-01-Pete-TireRack.htm

I never met any of the Studebaker Brothers, but have met some of the Veldman Brothers.;):D

chocolate turkey
03-04-2013, 11:33 AM
I have Diamondback wide whites on two of my cars. Great service, excellent white wall construction and the thing I like best, all the tire info is on the back side leave nice clean looking tires.

swvalcon
03-04-2013, 12:02 PM
I got a price from discount tire for 4 new tires with 1" white walls mounted and out the door for just under $400.

E. Davis
03-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Weren't chinese were they? Some folks here bought chinese tires because of the wider whitewall and cheaper price but had some really severe problems with them.

bosshoss61
03-04-2013, 02:57 PM
I gotta ask---How did you know they were Chinese? Made in China sticker on the tire? On the purchase invoice?

t walgamuth
03-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Did the salesman have trouble with his "R"s?

Skip Lackie
03-04-2013, 03:22 PM
I gotta ask---How did you know they were Chinese? Made in China sticker on the tire? On the purchase invoice?
There's a DOT plant code stamped on the inside side wall of each tire. Here's a link to a summary of the codes.

http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm

starlightchamp
03-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Check out Hankook tires. Most are made with a 1 inch white stripe and I got mine for
under $100. They are good tires. I think made in Taiwan or South Korea.

BobPalma
03-04-2013, 03:59 PM
In addition to Skip's link, the country of manufacture will be molded into the sidewall somewhere.

I've had occasion to monitor the country of manufacture due to an unusual coincidence maybe six years ago.

I bought a new set of generic Mastercraft tires for our 1996 Chevy Lumina. All four were identical in every respect, and all were bought at the same store (Indy Tire) at exactly the same time. I had taken the old tires and wheels in because I had them off anyway in the course of doing an oil change and checking the brakes. So I picked up the new tires (mounted and balanced on the wheels, of course) with my truck and took them back to my house/shop to put them on the car.

When I got home, I happen to notice that two of the tires were made in China and the other two were made in The United States! Other then those countries of origin, the tires were identical in every respect and you could not tell one from the other.

So I decided to put two from one country on one end of the car and the two from the other country on the other end of the car and keep them paired together, one end or the other, as I rotated and balanced them through the years, to monitor their wear and characteristics that would reflect quality.

My experience has been this during these six-odd years: All four tires have worn as equally as can be measured; no problems there. All four require more-or-less "normal" weights to balance; neither country is "better" as to being inherently better-balanced.

There are two noticeable differences, however:

1. The China-made tires do not lose air as quickly as do the USA-made tires. All tires lose some air, of course, but if I check these at eactly the same time interval, I will find that the China-made tires might lose 2 psi each, whereas the USA-made tires will lose about 4 psi each in the same time period.

2. The USA-made tires have aged better. That is, the normal rubber checking and cracking to be expected in any tires of this age, shows that the China-made tires appear to have a slightly lower (or poorer) quality rubber, because the severity of their microscopic age cracks is visibly worse than those on the USA-made tires.

Kind of interesting, I think, since I've eliminated virtually all variables except country of manufacture. (Their age dates when purchased were within a couple months of each other, so that isn't a factor. None of them have been punctured or repaired during this time, either.) :cool: BP

swvalcon
03-04-2013, 06:04 PM
They where hankook tires didn't Know china was into tires. Gives real meaning to the alabama song [my baby's made in the usa]

2moredoors
03-04-2013, 06:22 PM
I just bought 5 Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires. I wanted a North American name on my tires (last year I bought Firestone), these tires are made in Mexico. The tire salesman said expect 6 years and then they will weather. I hope to keep them longer but who knows. The point I am making even if you try to buy a North American name you still don't know where they will be manufactured. I guess Mexico is OK. One thing he did tell me that some of the big box sellers buy up last years tires from the manufacturers inventory. My tires were less than two months old looking at the manufacture date.

njonkman
03-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Even though they have familiar names of American brands on the tires it does not mean they are actually made by that company. Information I found tells us that the tire companies sell their old tire molds and the purchaser can just make counterfeit tires from that mold which have no actual connection with the original brand.
Nick

warrlaw1
03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
I drove the crap out of Hankooks on an Acura. Pretty tough tires. Using Cokers on the Stude. Pricey but pretty.

erniebrown
03-05-2013, 02:07 PM
I am pleased with my WIDE WHITE walls that I purchased from COKER TIRE. . .American Classic's.

Scott
03-05-2013, 07:57 PM
I know a place that can get me narrow white wall ties (four) for about $500, mounted and balanced. Hankook is the brand and the size he quoted was 205/75R15 radial. He'll even do layaway. :) But you have to come to Oregon.

E. Davis
03-05-2013, 08:43 PM

Made in China moulded into the tire on these. They were sold by a name brand tire store.. The problem that arose was tread separation at speed. One case I know of a piece of the tread came loose and tore up the inner fender of my Grandaughters Taurus and did enough damage before she could get stopped that it neccesitated the replacement of the entire fender.

Gold Hawk Doug
03-06-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm currently fighting a set of Cokers (Cassics) that I bought through Summit. All four tires were out of round, out of true, And all but one impossible to balance. Try over 8 ounces of weight,and it still bounces down the road! Date shows the tires to be only six months old.

I tried shaving them, and had a road force balance done showing that, at best, they still generate an average of 30 LBS. of unbalanced force. I'm fighting with Coker to get $ back. I don't want replacemnts, I have a freind in Carson that has gone through three sets of tires, just to get 4 good ones.

Some how I don't think Coker ever intended these tires to ever be actually driven at hiway speeds.

I'm going to get a set of Diamond Backs, and try them.

At least they (the Diamond Backs) are not made in Mexico, at a plant that Michilin built, only to end up abandoning it after never being able to get a quality product out of it.

Doug

Pat Dilling
03-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Doug, I have had to replace 6 Coker tires, ply seperations, bubbles and cracking white walls. Their customer service is good, they replaced the tires, pro-rated of course. I got tired of paying to have tires mounted and balanced and switched to Diamond Back. Never looked back.

Gold Hawk Doug
03-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Yeah Pat, I believe we talked about this when Charyl, and I visited you folks a couple of weeks ago. Great visit by the way!

Its pretty much on your advice that I contacted Diamond Back. Your right, Cokers customer service is pretty good, to a point. They want to send me new tires, but I'm not a gambler! I'd just as soon have the money back. Not their policy, I'm told, and they're tring to duck behind the third party sale from Summit.

Not to worry though, I'm wearing them down!

If you count the cost of the tire shaving, the forced road balance, and my own time spent on these darn things, they've gotten to be pretty expensive tires.

Doug

Scott
03-06-2013, 08:45 PM
And Coker is made where???

Sam Ensley
03-06-2013, 11:00 PM
I rea an article not long ago, maybe on here, that told of grinding the black off of narrow, or raised letter, tires to get a wide whitewall. I talked to a man who had done that to the tires on a 1950 Ford coupe. They looked really good, and he said he had no trouble with them.

Gold Hawk Doug
03-07-2013, 03:36 AM
And Coker is made where???

"At least they (the Diamond Backs) are not made in Mexico, at a plant that Michilin built, only to end up abandoning it after never being able to get a quality product out of it."

Mexico.
They're labled as such on the back side of the tire. I thought they were made here when I bought them, but have since learned otherwise

Doug

BobPalma
03-07-2013, 08:53 AM
I rea an article not long ago, maybe on here, that told of grinding the black off of narrow, or raised letter, tires to get a wide whitewall. I talked to a man who had done that to the tires on a 1950 Ford coupe. They looked really good, and he said he had no trouble with them.

Yep; entirely possible, Sam, and often done...at least "back in the day." :) BP

junior
03-07-2013, 10:01 AM

see post #2, I provided a youtube link.

Pat Dilling
03-07-2013, 12:25 PM
"At least they (the Diamond Backs) are not made in Mexico, at a plant that Michilin built, only to end up abandoning it after never being able to get a quality product out of it."

Mexico.
They're labled as such on the back side of the tire. I thought they were made here when I bought them, but have since learned otherwise

Doug

Diamondback does not make their own tires. They take brand new name brand tires from companies like Firestone, BF Goodrich, Toyo, Yokohama, Nitto and even Michelin and then vulcanize the white walls, redlines or whatever you want on to them. They even do drag radials and cheater slicks. The tires are warranteed by Diamonback. The tires they use do change sometimes, as new tire models become available or others go out of production. My only complaint about them is they are on the East Coast and do not have dealers so they tag me pretty good for shipping to California. I personally think they are the best custom tire on the market and worth what you pay for them. But they are not inexpensive. www.dbtires.com

Gold Hawk Doug
03-07-2013, 02:21 PM
For the new Diamond Back II's they use Toyo tires that are made at a plant in White, Georgia.

The process they use to vucanize the white wall on involves spinning the tire at a pretty good speed. If there is a flaw in the runout of the tire it is spotted right away, and rejected.

And yes, its going to cost about a $115 extra to ship them to me. Oh well, the cost of doing buisness, I guess.

It will be worth it to get rid of these gosh-awfull tires currently on the car.

Doug

MPallock
03-10-2013, 12:38 AM
Ours are in need of replacement. Any recommendations of ones that won't cost a small fortune?

Google whitewallcandystore. Great white wall tires at reasonable prices

Mark