Best money spent recently....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best money spent recently....

It only cost $3.00, and there were several more at a shop/farm sale yesterday. This was the same place that held a huge Studebaker auction about 10-15 years ago, mostly left over junk this time around.

That's quite interesting, Bruce.

Has anyone else ever heard of Avanti White being described as Avanti Snow Cap White? Not me by any means. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Me neither, Bob. I wonder how close that is to the 1956 color of the same name.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post
        It only cost $3.00, and there were several more at a shop/farm sale yesterday. This was the same place that held a huge Studebaker auction about 10-15 years ago, mostly left over junk this time around.
        A buddy and I attended that auction in June of 2001. Mitch Silver from Spokane did the auction.

Bill

Comment

So Bruce you bought this from Paul McDonald at McDonald Mercantile Store and Apple Farm in Donald, WA then?

How is Paul and the Apple Orchard doing? We bought 5 Cars there in 2001, really GREAT people.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That is another affirmation that lacquer was used by Studebaker on Avantis.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Or does it just mean that this can is lacquer. Lacquer on fiberglass not the way to go by any means.

Comment

Just another thought. Could that be what they called the wheel/rim color?

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                  Or does it just mean that this can is lacquer. Lacquer on fiberglass not the way to go by any means.
                  Why do you say that? All 1963 and 1964 Avantis were done in lacquer while the rest of the Studebaker line received enamel.
                  This was acrylic lacquer. I painted fberglass with nitrocellouse lacquer and it it was show quality 40 years later.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post
                    A few years ago a man contacted me about a bunch of Studebaker paint. He had bought out an old parts warehouse and had cartons and cartons of Studebaker paint (but nothing else Studebaker). I bought several cans and thought about buying it all for swap meet selling, but decided against it. I believe JDP did buy the rest, but I don't know if he still has any. As far as I know there was no Avanti lacquer in the stock, all old enamel.
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                      All Avantis and Corvettes were acrylic lacquer, at the time it was thought and probably proven that it was the only product that would be compatible and properly adhere to the type of resin gel coat and fiberglass body being used.

Otherwise it would have been more cost effective to simply use the Baking Enamel they were using on the steel Bodies.

StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        So Bruce you bought this from Paul McDonald at McDonald Mercantile Store and Apple Farm in Donald, WA then?

How is Paul and the Apple Orchard doing? We bought 5 Cars there in 2001, really GREAT people.
                        The store is a winery, and the orchard was taken out. Didn't get a chance to talk to Paul, but looked like they were selling everything farm related.

Comment

I have said it before, and I'll say it again-
                          my Donald Auction car (a.k.a. 'Ruby') WILL see the road this year!!!

(that's Mike finishing her up for the ride West- over the hill...)

StudeDave '57
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Interesting too that the trade name "Alpha-Cryl" was used on the label. That was the trade name used by Rinched-Mason on their acrylic lacquer line of products, who no doubt supplied Studebaker with this color.
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I'am sure Studebaker had someone just can their paint under the studebaker label. The old paints, enamel faded fast and the lacquer cracked pick your poison.

Comment

Working...
                              X