PDA

View Full Version : Race cars at the SNM

Bob Bryant
03-02-2013, 08:45 AM
A very nice display of Studebaker vintage race cars. Congratulations to Andy Beckman and others who made it happen.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/entertainment/inthebend/sbt-studebaker-takes-checkered-flag-with-exhibit-20130227,0,1786390.story

SN-60
03-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Those Studebaker Indy Race Cars are in a class by themselves....REALLY something!! Here I am squeezing into #37 to go for a ride a couple years ago in NH. (Just be careful where You rest Your right
arm if You're playing 'Riding Mechanic' though!!!)

t walgamuth
03-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Cool! I'll have to get up there to see that!

SN-60
03-02-2013, 01:16 PM
The hood and tail section of #37.....Just two of the difficult shapes Gary Ash is trying to fabricate in aluminum for His re-creation Stude Race Car!

SN-60
03-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Here's a shot of the carbs on that baby!

White Hawk
03-02-2013, 10:25 PM
When you walk into the display you are greeted by Jim Nabors singing "Back home again in Indiana" just like on raceday.

SN-60
03-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Hopefully the display will continue thru the fall. I'd like to make a quick trip to SB this August.

studegary
03-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Those Studebaker Indy Race Cars are in a class by themselves....REALLY something!! Here I am squeezing into #37 to go for a ride a couple years ago in NH. (Just be careful where You rest Your right
arm if You're playing 'Riding Mechanic' though!!!)

I was in the riding mechanic's seat in that same car. I do not remember it as being difficult to enter. Perhaps you have a couple of pounds/inches on me <G>.

SN-60
03-03-2013, 01:23 PM
To: Studegary,-----I wouldn't doubt the couple of pounds anyway!.....But in truth, the fellow that drove #37 that day, a friend of Bob's, is kind of a big guy too! He entered the driver's seat by removing the quick release steering wheel. Amazing how high the cowl seems when You're seated inside this race car!

studegary
03-03-2013, 02:01 PM
To: Studegary,-----I wouldn't doubt the couple of pounds anyway!.....But in truth, the fellow that drove #37 that day, a friend of Bob's, is kind of a big guy too! He entered the driver's seat by removing the quick release steering wheel. Amazing how high the cowl seems when You're seated inside this race car!

I was in the car with Asa Hall in the driver's seat. Neither of us - big.

plwindish
03-03-2013, 08:33 PM
My wife and I saw the display this afternoon after the talk that Donald Davidison gave in the auditorium about Studebaker's involvement in Indy racing. Seeing the three cars on display made a lot more sense after hearing Donald talking about the stream-lined bodies for the five race cars after their successful initial campaigns with the smaller roadster type bodies with the beautiful chrome "Sunrise Grilles". Davidison referred to the streamlined bodies as tanks, and seeing the new style body on the middle "34" car, it did more resemble a tank than the racers the other two looked like.

SN-60
03-04-2013, 04:46 PM
My wife and I saw the display this afternoon after the talk that Donald Davidison gave in the auditorium about Studebaker's involvement in Indy racing. Seeing the three cars on display made a lot more sense after hearing Donald talking about the stream-lined bodies for the five race cars after their successful initial campaigns with the smaller roadster type bodies with the beautiful chrome "Sunrise Grilles". Davidison referred to the streamlined bodies as tanks, and seeing the new style body on the middle "34" car, it did more resemble a tank than the racers the other two looked like.

I agree, the new streamlining for '33 made the cars a bit quicker.......but their former good looks REALLY took a hit!

Studebaker Wheel
03-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Hopefully the display will continue thru the fall. I'd like to make a quick trip to SB this August.

The display will end by the end of April. These cars are DRIVEN and the owners want them back for the summer season.

Welcome
03-04-2013, 06:17 PM
The display will end by the end of April. These cars are DRIVEN and the owners want them back for the summer season.

By chance could the Studebaker National Museum become the "off-racing season home" for these Stude beauties???

Geez, if we only knew a couple members on the SNM Board of Directors.;):D

Studebaker Wheel
03-04-2013, 07:01 PM
By chance could the Studebaker National Museum become the "off-racing season home" for these Stude beauties???

Geez, if we only knew a couple members on the SNM Board of Directors.;):D

A pretty long commute from New Hampshire and California!

benaslopoke
03-04-2013, 07:38 PM
I saw one of the Indy cars on the Interstate Battery rides back in the 90's at an overnite stop.. Just looking at that straight eight with all those carburators and straight exhaust pipe (as big as my fist) with that sound was awesome and to think the're still around and running.. The other brand Indy race cars are tired I guess..

SN-60
03-04-2013, 09:10 PM

Well, I know for sure at least ONE of them is!

Chris_Dresbach
03-04-2013, 10:40 PM
All three cars in the museum are still being raced.

SN-60
03-05-2013, 05:33 PM
A couple shots of the dashboard and 'quick release' steering wheel of #37.