Hmmmm.....Wagonaire Inspiration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmm.....Wagonaire Inspiration?

'Fooling around over at FiberGlassics, the forum for older fiberglass boat enthusiasts, and ran across this picture of a 1958 Reinell with sliding roof. Sure looks like a Studebaker Wagonaire inspiration; the sliding panel is darn near exactly the same size:

Hmmm....was Brooks Stevens hanging around the docks at one of Wisconsin's gazillion lakes in the late 1950s? BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Perhaps Brooks Stevens designed the boat?

I did some research and found that the Reinell boat company was based in the state of Washington, so I guess that it is unlikely that Brooks designed a boat for them.
    Last edited by Milaca; 03-01-2013, 08:05 PM.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I want that to tow behind my Wagonaire!
      Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      \'60 Lark HT
      \'63 Wagonaire
      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Aw Geez! The two Wagonaire bodies I sent to the scrapyards - wouldn't it have been cool to adapt one of the greenhouses of one to a boat body!
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
          Aw Geez! The two Wagonaire bodies I sent to the scrapyards - wouldn't it have been cool to adapt one of the greenhouses of one to a boat body!
          'Sure looks like a potential easy fit, doesn't it, Bob? BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Of course, if you put one of those on your boat and it leaked, you'd have to haul her up from the bottom of the lake!
            ~Matt Connor
            '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

I am 1700 (or so) miles from the pictures, but there are/were also some boats that used C body roofs and glass.
              I came 'that close' to buying one of said boats back in about 1997 or so...

I think I know of another one f/s in Toledo, WA if anyone is interested...
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Well...could be that some manufacturer holding the bag of left over mechanisms, machinery, and employees needed another outlet for their parts and entrepreneurial efforts "back in the day!" Don't know if there is a connection...but when Studebaker ceased production...lots of suppliers had to scramble, re-focus, and re-direct to make up for the lost business.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Who would want a leaky roof in a boat?
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    Well...could be that some manufacturer holding the bag of left over mechanisms, machinery, and employees needed another outlet for their parts and entrepreneurial efforts "back in the day!" Don't know if there is a connection...but when Studebaker ceased production...lots of suppliers had to scramble, re-focus, and re-direct to make up for the lost business.
                    It's not just 'back in the day'. A few years ago, GM discontinued the Wagonaire-like XUV because of poor sales. Only about 4000 were sold, but the supplier of the sliding roof and related hardware got left holding the bag as they apparently tooled up for a anticipated 15,000 units. I never did hear if GM reached a settlement with the supplier over that.

Craig

Comment

Bob, have you joined the Wagonaire Owners Lap Of Water Club yet?

Comment

Our contracts with Toyota and Nissan always specified a minumum run, a maximum work ahead units, and payment of our profit in the event of cancellation. If the run was 15,000 units and we built all 15000 early we only got the profit allocation on the pieces produce beyond the work ahead for that date. This is pretty standard, but in the '60's probably no manufacturer was going to pay for units they didn't use.
                        Jim
                        Often in error, never in doubt
                        http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X