3588S Carb Choke rod end quesiton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 3588S Carb Choke rod end quesiton

I'm finishing up the rebuild of the AFB 3588S for my R2 Hawk. The choke rod end is slotted with a "pre-load" spring ( pic on the right), which doesn't match the shop manual illustration - or the 3506 from my R1 Avanti ( pic on left). The loose end of the spring looks like it wants to wrap around the end of the connecting rod - but holds the choke closed too tightly to properly operate.

I disassembled the carb for cleaning too quickly, and too long ago now, to remember how it was originally mounted. My first question - is this slotted end of the choke rod even correct for this carb? If so, how's the loose end of the spring attach so it properly functions? If it's not, I suppose I could swap it out with the one of the other carb ( which was replaced by an edelbrock 1406 10 years ago).

thx!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0644.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1738158Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0643.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1738159
    1951 Custom
    1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
    1962 Champ
    1963 Standard R1 4 speed
    1963 Avanti R1
    1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
    2006 Avanti Convertible

I currently run a 1406 on my bike. But, it's a mechanical choke that I rigged up....I do not remember any spring. And not sure I've seen a spring on the vacuum ones either. I looked on the web, typing in the AFB (or Carter) #3588S, I did not see any springs. Other than throttle spring or idle spring. Rick

Comment

Well, I am hoping someone can shed some light on this as well. My 63 Avanti is set up the very same way - R2 Serial # 63R 1406. I was curious, but it does work ok like this. The inside of the torsion spring acts like the the cotter pin for the activating rod also and keeps the choke at one end of the slot. You just put it on so the torsion spring is tight on the rod, holding it at one end of the slot. I think the idea was that the the torsion spring would allow the choke to open some on vacuum at the butterfly if I remember corectly. It is as you have sied not shown in the manual at all.
      Regards from St. Pete's beach in Florida - not really missing the storm happening in Ottawa today!!
      Neil

Comment

The choke rod lever with the slot and spring isn't for a Stude-type AFB. Interesting!

Comment

Neil - I originally re-installed the carb with the torsion spring in place of the cotter pin/clip as you mentioned - it didn't want to run. I'll need to recheck the setup again.

SN-60, the carb has the proper studebaker plate on the front of the airhorn, and the 3588S aluminum tag. If it's not the correct stude afb, the choke rod was swapped out...
          1951 Custom
          1962 Champ
          1963 Standard R1 4 speed
          1963 Avanti R1
          1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
          2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Perhaps JTS and R2's were a little different in the carb department?
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I tried again today - first with the SC belt off and the torsion spring in place of the clip ( I had earlier done it with both on the end of the rod). started right up. put the SC belt back on - adjusted to a nice 650 idle and took her for a 10 minute ride. drove nicely. now on to the power steering!
              1951 Custom
              1962 Champ
              1963 Standard R1 4 speed
              1963 Avanti R1
              1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
              2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Working...
              X