Muncie Pure Stock Race Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muncie Pure Stock Race Results

'Just got back from the Muncie Dragway Pure Stock Musclecar Race announced earlier. While the attendance (12 cars and teams showed up, including three Studebakers) was disappointing to promoter Steve "CJFordman", those who did appear had a great time...and Studebaker kicked some serious butt! [}][]

First off, we must again marvel at Richard "R1" Poe. Richard is on a mission to prove you don't need big bucks for supercharging to have a fast Studebaker...and boy, talk about "mission accomplished!"

To wit: Prior to this event, Richard's best ET/Speed in his charcoal 1963 R1/4-speed Lark Custom two-door had been 14.27 and a little over 96 MPH. During practice Friday for the Muncie event, he whittled this down to 14.15 seconds [:0]...and in a separate run Friday, he posted a new highest-ever Terminal Speed of 98.34 MPH! [:0][][:0] (Yes, Virginia, this is with a legally-stock R1 engine.)

In fact, Richard's qualifying ET was so good it earned him the privilege([?]) of running a 1969 Road Runner 440/Six-Barrel/4-speed in the 2 out of 3 shootouts Saturday....with an R1, Virginia!

Richard tripped the red bulb getting away in Round One, losing it at the starting line. That was OK; he posted a slower time in Round One and would have lost without red-lighting.

But he came back...and with nobody red-lighting or making any obvious mistakes in the next two rounds, Richard Poe's R1 Lark beat the Six-Barrel 440 fair and square in two of the tightest races you could ever ask to see in Pure Stock Drag Racing, thus winning his shootout while giving up 151 cubic inches without the aid of a supercharger! Folks, we are talking about some serious R1 performance, here...and he says he isn't done yet!

I'm not sure Ted Harbit could better that accomplishment in The Stude Tomato, but he did equal it. The Tomato was not runnng as well as it has previously, Ted posting a best of 13.521 in the shootouts. He reported a little more wheel slip than he'd like, plus much of the running was into a headwind (not that it bothered Richard Poe, we might surmise!) Ted's qualifying time of 13.65 on Friday earned him the privilege of running another 440/Six-Barrel MoPar, Dave Watt's 1969 Road Runner with 4-speed.

Ted and The R2/4-speed Tomato won Round One against the 440 with a narrow winning margin of .0045 seconds! [:0] Whew! They came back for Round Two and Ted was slower out of the box (reaction time and 60-foot time) than Dave, losing in the first 60 feet even though he ultimately posted a faster ET: 13.641 for The Tomato, versus 13.645 for the Road Runner. So Dave won Round Two in the first 60 feet and Ted couldn't catch him.

Round Three was another nail-biter, but the tables were turned. Ted posted a .056 Reaction Time ...but Dave took twice that much time getting under way with a .112 Reaction Time. That put Ted out in front for Round Three...and although Dave posted a faster ET and Terminal Speed, he couldn't catch the fleeing Tomato within a quarter-mile. Ted won Round Three and, thus, won the 2-out-of-3 shootout against the 1969 Road Runner 440/Six-Barrel 4-speed. (Ted's winning margin in Round Three? An miniscule .0011 second![:0] Is that close enough?)

Last but not least was Chuck Kern, with son John, and Chuck's 1963 R2/Powershift Avanti. Chuck, Dave Watt (1969 Road Runner), and our own John Feistritzer (1957 Thunderbird) drove their cars to the event. (Note: This is a correction from the original statement regarding trailering.)

Chuck also set a new personal record for the car: 14.129 ET and 99.28 MPH during Friday's rehearsal. But on Saturday, Chuck encountered a high-speed misfire due to what he felt were failing electrics; the voltage regulator was acting up during the shootouts. [xx(]

Chuck's best performance during the shootouts was thu
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Way to go guys.[)] Congrats to Richard and Ted, sorry to see Chuck had problems, rotten luck to go that fast on Friday and have mechanical gremlins on race day.

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Way to go guys.[)] Congrats to Richard and Ted, sorry to see Chuck had problems, rotten luck to go that fast on Friday and have mechanical gremlins on race day.

Frank van Doorn
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1963 Daytona Conv
      1941 Champion R-2 Rod
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

[i]HOT DAWG!!![i] Man, that sounds like a heck of an event! Too bad the turnout was so light, but with the Stude team there, the heat was on!

Thanks for that great report, Bob. And CONGRATULATIONS to [u]TEAM STUDEBAKER</u>

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

[i]HOT DAWG!!![i] Man, that sounds like a heck of an event! Too bad the turnout was so light, but with the Stude team there, the heat was on!

Thanks for that great report, Bob. And CONGRATULATIONS to [u]TEAM STUDEBAKER</u>

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My congrats to Ted and Richard, those are some truly amazing times for a un-supercharged R1 Lark! Sounds like Richard is just having too much fun![^]

And we can always count on Ted to beat a few Mopars, GM's, Fords whatever they bring on! Good work guys![^]

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My congrats to Ted and Richard, those are some truly amazing times for a un-supercharged R1 Lark! Sounds like Richard is just having too much fun![^]

And we can always count on Ted to beat a few Mopars, GM's, Fords whatever they bring on! Good work guys![^]

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I look forward to hearing about Studes hammering those brand x machines. I especially love hearing about the mater mashing some mopars. I get goose bumps hearing about this stuff. Will they ever have one of these drag's closer to Tennessee?

Comment

I look forward to hearing about Studes hammering those brand x machines. I especially love hearing about the mater mashing some mopars. I get goose bumps hearing about this stuff. Will they ever have one of these drag's closer to Tennessee?

Comment

Why the light turn out of cars,they did not want to get their butts kicked by the studebaker people.

Comment

Why the light turn out of cars,they did not want to get their butts kicked by the studebaker people.

Comment

quote:Last but not least was Chuck Kern, with son John, and Chuck's 1963 R2/Powershift Avanti. It was the only racer driven to the event; all others were trailered.
                        Had a blast racing against Ted today. Talk about some close racing, .0011 Margin of Victory, doesn't get much closer than that.
                        Just to clarify, I did NOT trailer my car to the event either. It was a 52 mile drive each way on Friday and Saturday. I don't even own a truck. With all the passes and a little detour on the way home today, I put 258 miles on my Road Runner the last two days.

Comment

quote:Last but not least was Chuck Kern, with son John, and Chuck's 1963 R2/Powershift Avanti. It was the only racer driven to the event; all others were trailered.
                          Had a blast racing against Ted today. Talk about some close racing, .0011 Margin of Victory, doesn't get much closer than that.
                          Just to clarify, I did NOT trailer my car to the event either. It was a 52 mile drive each way on Friday and Saturday. I don't even own a truck. With all the passes and a little detour on the way home today, I put 258 miles on my Road Runner the last two days.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dave Watt

Dave: My every apology. I remember your saying you were going to drive the car to Muncie, and indeed you did. (Camp MoPar had only two trailers on the premises, but three cars in competition, folks. Dave's was driven from the Indianapolis area, as he says.) [8] Bob Palma
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dave Watt

Dave: My every apology. I remember your saying you were going to drive the car to Muncie, and indeed you did. (Camp MoPar had only two trailers on the premises, but three cars in competition, folks. Dave's was driven from the Indianapolis area, as he says.) [8] Bob Palma

Comment

Working...
                              X