Shop Manual Makes It Seem Involved:-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Shop Manual Makes It Seem Involved:-(

It's time..............time to want to say the heck with it, but I know better...........it's time to re-pack the rear bearings........is there another way this can be done?..........it seems to be lots of work to just pack the cone with lube...........what are the absolutes that must be followed?

I just screw the plug out of the axle tube put in a zerk and give it three pumps of the grease gun. Once a year.

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    It's time..............time to want to say the heck with it, but I know better...........it's time to re-pack the rear bearings........is there another way this can be done?..........it seems to be lots of work to just pack the cone with lube...........what are the absolutes that must be followed?
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
      I just screw the plug out of the axle tube put in a zerk and give it three pumps of the grease gun. Once a year.
      Fine, if you are one of the lucky ones with a third member with these plugs.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Removable plugs to allow rear axle bearing lubrication were used in cars through mid 1957 models - then discontinued. However, were used in 1/2 ton trucks to the 1964 model year.

Comment

Third member?.........is that akin to a third 'leg'?
          Originally posted by studegary View Post
          Fine, if you are one of the lucky ones with a third member with these plugs.

Comment

I added grease fittings to the rear axle when I overhauled the bearings. That's an easy thing to do. You're a lucky guy! You are going to take a look at your rear brakes. Just do it by the book and you won't have any problems.
            Nice day to all.
            sigpic

Comment

He said 'third member'. Heh, heh, heh.

Comment

Working...
              X