Studebakers at Bonneville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers at Bonneville

Havn't heard anything here about Studebakers racing at Speed Week this year. I looked for records on landracing.com but saw none there that I could identify as Studes. Also went to the Southern California Timing Association site and saw few Stude pictures. Have all the Studebaker salt racers simply rusted away or what?

Joe Roberts
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Unfortunately the SCTA and Jon Amo both had troubles getting info & pix posted.

I know you (and other Stude folk) check the HAMB, and for the most part there have been some good pix except for the goobers who only took pix of salt-encrusted rat rods and no racers. One chick posted 105 pix - 53 of them were her Volkwagen!?!

Anyway, I have been gathering them slowly - and will gladly post some (with record speeds) once everything is over.

Chris Pile
    The Studebaker Special
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Unfortunately the SCTA and Jon Amo both had troubles getting info & pix posted.

I know you (and other Stude folk) check the HAMB, and for the most part there have been some good pix except for the goobers who only took pix of salt-encrusted rat rods and no racers. One chick posted 105 pix - 53 of them were her Volkwagen!?!

Anyway, I have been gathering them slowly - and will gladly post some (with record speeds) once everything is over.

Chris Pile
      The Studebaker Special
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Thanks Chris. I did see a picture of Gary Hart's Studebaker (and his '53(?) and a few others. Did not see anything that looked to be Studebaker powered.
        Joe Roberts
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

Thanks Chris. I did see a picture of Gary Hart's Studebaker (and his '53(?) and a few others. Did not see anything that looked to be Studebaker powered.
          Joe Roberts
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser

Comment

That last post had a word missing. Gary Hart not only had his Studebaker but his Buick. That Buick is a thing to behold. Big old straight 8. He has several records at Maxton as well as Bonneville. Hustling a car like that to over 130 mph is a grand sight indeed. His Studebaker looks like a '53/4, but began life as a '55. When he got it it did not have any sheet metal (or engine)in front of the cowl, so a fiberglass front end was used.
            Joe Roberts
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser

Comment

That last post had a word missing. Gary Hart not only had his Studebaker but his Buick. That Buick is a thing to behold. Big old straight 8. He has several records at Maxton as well as Bonneville. Hustling a car like that to over 130 mph is a grand sight indeed. His Studebaker looks like a '53/4, but began life as a '55. When he got it it did not have any sheet metal (or engine)in front of the cowl, so a fiberglass front end was used.
              Joe Roberts
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser

Comment

I sent Joe pix of the 10 Studes that ran this years Speedweek event, with their top speeds.

If anyone else would like to see them just PM me.

Chris Pile
                The Studebaker Special
                Midway Chapter SDC

Comment

I sent Joe pix of the 10 Studes that ran this years Speedweek event, with their top speeds.

If anyone else would like to see them just PM me.

Chris Pile
                  The Studebaker Special
                  Midway Chapter SDC

Comment

Did'ja look over at Sonny's Racing Sudebakers' site?

There's a few there...
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JRoberts

Havn't heard anything here about Studebakers racing at Speed Week this year. I looked for records on landracing.com but saw none there that I could identify as Studes. Also went to the Southern California Timing Association site and saw few Stude pictures. Have all the Studebaker salt racers simply rusted away or what?

Joe Roberts

Deep-N-Hock Acres
                    Brooklet, Georgia
                    DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                    '37 Coupe Express
                    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                    '61 Hawk (project: Ist Gen Owner - project)
                    Mysterious Project Z
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Did'ja look over at Sonny's Racing Sudebakers' site?

There's a few there...
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JRoberts

Joe Roberts

Deep-N-Hock Acres
                      Brooklet, Georgia
                      DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                      '37 Coupe Express
                      '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                      '61 Hawk (project: Ist Gen Owner - project)
                      Mysterious Project Z
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yes, Jeff - that's where I got the pic of Norris Andersen's R-series.

Chris Pile
                        The Studebaker Special
                        Midway Chapter SDC

Comment

Yes, Jeff - that's where I got the pic of Norris Andersen's R-series.

Chris Pile
                          The Studebaker Special
                          Midway Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                          X