Flex-a-form springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Flex-a-form springs

I'm thinking of replacing my Avanti's sagging leaf springs with the monoleafs from flex-a-form. For those of you who have done this before, can you offer any insights into your experience? Mark from Flex-a-form says that they can make these in a "high-arch" to give approximately standard ride height or a "low arch" for a 1.75" drop, and that their standard rate is about 200lb/in., althoughI can specify a stiffer rate if desired. This is just a street driven car so I'm not lookiing for something overly stiff. Thanks for any information.

Some here have used them with good results. Here's one thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...erglass+spring

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Adam, I used these fiberglass springs on my brothers 63 Avanti, and they are terrific. The car sits perfectly, has less weight back there, rides very well, and performs flawlessly. I have no qualms about recommending them for any Stude application. When I get to my Hawk project, I will put them on that also, if they are available. I do believe they are available, but will talk to the Flex-a-form folks about it. Hope this helps you, Bill.

Comment

I have a friend that has an Avanti and he put those in it and raves about the results.
        64 Champ long bed V8
        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

You will need to have much better shocks. Multi leaf packs self dampen to an extent. Mono leafs don't have the added benefit of intra-leaf friction.
          Many factory mono leafs use 4 shocks.....a smaller one running for and aft to dampen rotational forces. IE: Mustang, and Olds Toronado.
          Avanti's have a radius rod to help in this area. Non R cars would benefit from this addition.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Flex-a-form says they've made 200# per inch replacement rear springs; that sounds really, really stiff for the rear of an Avanti.

Here's a quote from one web source about the OEM spring rates: "The suspension combines the heavy-duty coil springs of the Lark police car with the 5-leaf semi-elliptics of the station wagon. The rates at the wheels are 110 lb./in. at the front and 136 lb./in. at the rear." If this is accurate, 200# would be 47% stiffer.

Does anyone who's used the Flex-a-Form springs have the paperwork showing the spring rates as installed?

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

I'll check with my brother up in Wisconsin. I'm sure he has the sales invoice, I don't know if the spring rates are listed on it though. It might take a few days to get this done, Bill.

Comment

I checked with Mark at Flex-form about the spring rate, and he said that the rates between composite and steel springs are not directly comparable due to the additional friction steel springs have between the leaves and the difference in "compliance factor" of steel vs. composite. I'm not a spring engineer; I'm just passing along what I heard. I did do some more research on these springs and found that many owners of first gen Mustangs are using them. The 200 lb/in rate is being reported as firm but not too stiff.

Comment

Adam and Jack, my brother found no info about the springs on his receipt. All I can relay is that the ride is very good, as it should be in a sports car. Solid is probably the best description I can give them. Bill.

Comment

I just thought I'd give an update on my experiences so far with this topic ~

I placed an order with Flex-Form for the springs in March. Mark from Flex-Form was very helpful with answering all of my questions, and he had me double check some measurements to be sure they matched up with the data he had for the spring dimensions. He told me it would take about 4 weeks to get the springs as they are made to order and they were backed-up a bit. It actually took a bit longer, closer to 6 weeks before I had the springs. The springs are amazingly light compared to the steel ones, and they appear to be well made. The installation posed no real problems. I really liked the way the car sat, and the ride was very good, not too stiff. But, after about 100 miles I noticed some small splinters appearing on the right spring. I contacted Flex-Form and was told that these "split-outs" sometimes occur and they should not be a problem. I was advised to observe them after the next few drives to make just to make sure they didn't progress. All was ok for a little while. After I had about 300 miles on them, I noticed some larger cracks on the right spring, took pictures of them and e-mailed them to Flex-Form. Obviously this spring had a defect and I wanted a replacement. They didn't give me any trouble about it except that it took another 4 weeks to get it to me. The left spring has looked fine so I'm hoping that this is just an isolated defect. So far the replacement spring has been fine too but I will continue to monitor it. Although the parts took longer to get than I would've liked, Flex-Form did always return my calls and respond to my e-mails. I'll provide another update here if something else happens.

Comment

What is the current cost for the FlexForm springs?
                      PackardV8

Comment

I paid $443, including shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by adamderosa View Post
                          I just thought I'd give an update on my experiences so far with this topic ~

I placed an order with Flex-Form for the springs in March. Mark from Flex-Form was very helpful with answering all of my questions, and he had me double check some measurements to be sure they matched up with the data he had for the spring dimensions. He told me it would take about 4 weeks to get the springs as they are made to order and they were backed-up a bit. It actually took a bit longer, closer to 6 weeks before I had the springs. The springs are amazingly light compared to the steel ones, and they appear to be well made. The installation posed no real problems. I really liked the way the car sat, and the ride was very good, not too stiff. But, after about 100 miles I noticed some small splinters appearing on the right spring. I contacted Flex-Form and was told that these "split-outs" sometimes occur and they should not be a problem. I was advised to observe them after the next few drives to make just to make sure they didn't progress. All was ok for a little while. After I had about 300 miles on them, I noticed some larger cracks on the right spring, took pictures of them and e-mailed them to Flex-Form. Obviously this spring had a defect and I wanted a replacement. They didn't give me any trouble about it except that it took another 4 weeks to get it to me. The left spring has looked fine so I'm hoping that this is just an isolated defect. So far the replacement spring has been fine too but I will continue to monitor it. Although the parts took longer to get than I would've liked, Flex-Form did always return my calls and respond to my e-mails. I'll provide another update here if something else happens.
                          Glad to find a vendor that takes responsibility and is quick to work with the customer on issues that may arise.
                          Please keep us apprised on the springs performance.
                          64 Champ long bed V8
                          55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                          53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

They warranty their products for 1 year after purchase, so there was no hassle with getting them to agree to a replacement. By the way, I incorrectly called the company "Flex-a-Form" in the title of this post; they are actually called "Flex-Form".

Comment

Working...
                            X