Just getting to look at my new Lark today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just getting to look at my new Lark today

The Lark arrived and I got to take a closer look at it this morning. It was in the Sandy flood so there is some mildew. The lights and heater don't work. The lights are probably is a fuse or corroded connections but it looks like the heater motor was under water and is probably trash.
    Someone said there was a shop manual covering a 60 Lark in Studebaker International for $20 on CD but I couldn't find it.
    There was an air cleaner with the car but it will not fit because, as I was told, it has a Volvo carbeuator.
    Do all Larks have twisted and crooked clutch and brake pedals? My pedals are both at very odd angles.
    Avantidave
    1978 Avanti II

If that car was in the flood, I hope you didn't spend too much on it. You'll have a lot of work to do.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

CD Manual Item No: 801203 (1959-1964 Lark and Hawk) page 25 of their catalog $24.95. Includes Shop, Chassis and Body manuals. Sounds like you'll have to strip her down and start from there to make sure you've detected/repaired all the flood damage. Good Luck.
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

David, I have seen my share of twisted pedals on Studebakers.never thought much about why,but I suppose there is some weak metal used ?
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks for the info on the CD manual.
          In every photo I have seen of the inside of a Lark, the pedals have been twister. If I try to straighten them do ai risk breaking the metal?
          Avantidave
          1978 Avanti II

Comment

I never tried to straighten one,but would'nt think you'd break one trying ?
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

No. Not any weak metal, just whoever tightened the nut retaining them failed to hold the pedal in position firmly. There are no "locating nubs" holding them in the correct postion & so when you tighten them, its a 2 handed operation. Loosen the retaining nut, position & tighten again. Mine have held for years.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

There is supposed to be a external tooth "Star" lockwasher BETWEEN the pedal pad and the mounting surface. This keeps the pedal pad in proper position.

Comment

Working...
                X