Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

53 Champion turn signal and engine wiring help needed. Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 53 Champion turn signal and engine wiring help needed. Please!

I have been restoring a 53 Champion. I have replaced all the wiring. I have two engine wires that I dont know where they go. Also I cant find for the life of me an Allstate turn signal wiring diagram. I am having issues with identifying and connecting the new wiring harness to the original Allstate harness. Thats all I have left and I can test it and get her running again! I was hoping someone could help me. I have all the wiring diagrams and I still can't figuire it out! Thanks!!

I think the light blue goes to the horn wire coming out of the column? but I have no idea where the black one goes. Obviously next to the engine due to the asphalt coated loom. Im lost here!

I am also unsure if I connected the rear light harness to the main harness as shown. I just assumed but I dont think it is correct? Its a brown/white and green/white from main harness and I connected them to the paired sets. I connected the green/white to the white/brown and green pair and the brown/white to the white/green and brown pair.

On my -55 Champion, when it was still original, the black was the one going between distributer & coil, that's all I can say about this, but that was on MY car...

Comment

The Green is one side of turn signals and the Brown is the other. So you have to connect Green to Green Tracer, and Brown to Brown Tracer. I am sorry without peeking at the Wiring Dia. in the Shop Manual I can't remember which is R & L but a quick test will tell.

On Studebaker Turn Sigs. the Front L & R Turn Sigs. are connected to the L/R dash indicators, but on an aftermarket unit you probably have only one Indicator Light on the Lever Box, so it comes right from the Flasher unit output flashing power.

Sorry, from the pic I can't tell what you are doing.

The heavily insulated Black wire is quite likely the Overdrive Dist. cut-out wire from the Kickdown switch to Distributor.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 02-24-2013, 03:26 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Agree with you, the blue wire probably connects to the horn wire that comes down the steering column and out the bottom of the steering box.
        Agree with Rich about the green and brown wires. The photo shows them connected as per the shop manual wiring diagram.....which happens to be in error! Just put all the greens together and all the browns together.
        I have wiring diagrams for several aftermarket switches. Give us the colors of all the wires coming out of the switch and we can probably help you.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks for the response y'all! I am still unclear. The black wire with the heavy loom is coming out of the new wiring harness. The one coming out of the distributor is already connected. The car is also a manual transmission so no kick down is present and there are no more loose wires anywhere where the other end would go. I kind of assumed that it may be a ground but the factory wiring diagram is unclear. If all else fails Ill just call the supplier.

I did however get a pic and noted the turn signal wiring colors. They are as follows: red, black, orange, brown, and are plastic insulated AND light blue, yellow and green which are cloth insulated. The orange was connected to the "P" and the black was connected to the "L" terminals of the flasher. The last terminal was connected to the ignition switch positive with an inline fuse. The left (red wire) and right (green wire) indicator bulbs have a three way "T" connectors. Thoughts?

Comment

The black wire has a bullet connector on its end which narrows down the possible locations it would go. That's why we thought it probably goes to a kickdown switch. So you're saying your car has a straight 3-speed transmission without overdrive? There's no pull handle at the bottom of the dash panel marked 'OD'? Then I would still say that it probably goes to the kickdown switch in cars so equipped. Ask the company who made the harness. Since most of these cars had overdrive, this wire might be included in all their looms. Test it for voltage, both with key on and key off. If it has no power going to it, just tape the end and tuck it away.

The only turn signal wiring diagram I have that matches all the colors with your Allstate is one known as an 'Everlasting' today. I can't send the diagram through the forum, but I can send you a pdf of it to your email addy if you need it. Here are the colors:
            Green to the right front signal
            Yellow to the left front
            Brown to the right rear
            Orange to left rear
            Red to the stop switch
            Black to flasher 'L' terminal
            Blue to flasher 'P' terminal
            Existing fused power wire to flasher 'X' or '+' terminal
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks Dwain. I think you nailed it! Ill try it and let yall know. Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X