Getting back into the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back into the game

OK, so I'm back after a year of so of not working on my '63 R2 Avanti...Now that I'm out of college and have more time to dedicate, I want to get my hands dirtier. I am looking for some good reading material to make myself knowledgeable with the ins and outs of my Avanti.. Can anybody provide me some good links.

Thanks!

WELCOME (back) ...to the SDC Forum!!!

Comment

Welcome John. I recommend the top book on this link called the Studebaker Avanti Monograph It has a bunch of interesting data.

The Studebaker National Museum Online Store is the place to shop for all of your Studebaker related merchandise needs....

Comment

also check out Mr. Johnstone's site. helped me tremendously with my '63!

Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

@studefan looks interesting

@Corvanti already bookmarked!

I guess my next thing to do is make a list of things that need to be done. I can tell off the bat the interior needs a GOOD cleaning. I believe I left off with doing a Turner brake conversion for all the brakes. I need to find some place to get the engine rebuilt as I noticed coolant leaking..

Comment

Leaking coolant does not mean you need an engine overhaul.

Comment

Originally posted by rickburgen View Post
              I need to find some place to get the engine rebuilt as I noticed coolant leaking..
              Most of the times I've noticed a coolant leak the required repair was not an engine rebuild. Have you had the cooling system pressure tested? Should take about five minutes.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have not done any test on the engine. Can't get it out of my drive way, is there a simple way to do a test?

Comment

Originally posted by rickburgen View Post
                  I have not done any test on the engine. Can't get it out of my drive way, is there a simple way to do a test?
                  Yes there is, but first,... "Google is your friend", my friend. you can probably find a 100 youtube videos on pressurizing your cooling system to test it. You will get more out that then reading my diatribe on how to do it.

Here's one of a thousand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydITnPaPm_A

Allen
                  Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 02-20-2013, 08:21 PM.
                  1964 GT Hawk
                  PSMCDR 2014
                  Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                  PSMCDR 2013
                  Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Good share there, Allen. Would be hard to misunderstand the tool, procedure or diagnosis. Possible issues could be frost plugs, hoses or just clamps.
                    Rick, you probably know a mechanic who would be willing to lend you this tool. It literally takes less time than the length of that video. The fact that you've noticed the coolant leak would suggest a rebuild is not necessarily called for. Loss of coolant without an apparent puddle could indicate a leak in to the engine internals.
                    It is always best to never expect the worst.
                    Last edited by rockne10; 02-20-2013, 08:52 PM.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

well, I felt in coming from the engine block. When I noticed this back a couple years, I ordered new freeze plugs. I'll try this method though.

Comment

Working...
                      X