Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7 1/2 min. silent film of 1963 Studebaker Shareholder's Meeting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 1/2 min. silent film of 1963 Studebaker Shareholder's Meeting...

Probably mentioned here before, but posted with several 1964 (wonderful) Studebaker commercials which I had never seen before, on youtube.

I shared the shareholder's meeting video with an acquaintance who enjoys 'fintail' M-B's of that period, and he enjoyed the video, and asked me if the big trucks in the background of the M-B display (at about 1:20 in the video) were Unimogs. I don't know; they look like military trucks which were being built at South Bend to me, but does anybody know for sure? They do seem to be displayed near M-B vehicles.

Thanks!

Studebaker was burdened with debt but Sherwood Egbert tried to project a sense of confidence.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Anyone here good at lip-reading?

I know it states that it is a shareholders' meeting, but I almost think it is a Dealer's Convention looking at all the cars & trucks which includes most every vehicle Studeabaker and Mercedes Benz offered in 1963. I think the rest of Studebaker's non-automotive products (and maybe a few less cars & trucks) would also be shown as well if was a shareholders' meeting.

Craig

Comment

Are you sure it is a Stockholder's Meeting, Bill? It sure looks like a dealer meeting to see the new cars, hear a pep talk, and get to meet Egbert and the other heavies.

Andy Granatelli is there, and for the most part, the people all have name tags.

I would think the name tags would suggest a dealer meeting, rather than stockholders.

Great video; thanks for the post. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm sure at least one of the trucks is a Unimog 406, and it makes sense that it's standing in the Benz section.

This looks to me like a model-year rollout for dealers and the press rather than a shareholders meeting. The displays and venue are a lot more showy than you'd expect for an annual financial report, and there's a lot of laughing and mike-hogging going on in the chairs. Note the scene with the executive sitting down in the press room (among the typewriters). The rack of checked overcoats hints at cool weather, which I wouldn't expect for a rollout (in summer), however.

With its geodesic translucent roof, this looks to be a pretty distinctive and recognizable building. Seems like someone here should be able to name it.

If the film is from '63 and it's about new models, they would all be '64s, right?

Comment

That building was mentioned here.....http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...l=1#post719004
          It's at Notre Dame

Comment

I don't believe that it's a '63 introductory meeting, as note the 'circle S' logo which isn't shown on any '63 brochures I have, but I think I remember reading was added somewhere to the company's "Studebaker" logo somewhere mid'63 model year.

Another thing that makes me think it was indeed possibly a shareholder's meeting, is the stack of blocks with a capstone on top, near the speaker's podium. When South Bend shut down, either Time, Newsweek, or Business Week had a photo with their article, of a billboard which had a stack of blocks with the Auto Division the top block and all the subsidiaries underneath, and the billboard read, "This is Studebaker Corporation--Growing!".

Also, I'm not sure that if a dealer's meeting, they would have military trucks on display there...but maybe they would, who knows?
            Last edited by Bill Pressler; 02-19-2013, 02:05 AM.
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            All are in Australia now

Comment

Also, strange to me to see Byers Burlingame in a few shots standing near Egbert. Who'da thunk that in less than a year from this photo, Egbert would be replaced by Burlingame and the curtain dropped on South Bend.
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              All are in Australia now

Comment

My first reaction was the number of smokers present, particularly with cigars. My how times have changed. I'm pretty sure I spotted Gordon Grundy, Studebaker Canada president, in the audience on the left side of the screen, shortly after the 5 minutes mark.
                Stu Chapman

Comment

I had to think what a Great presentation of Vehicles!
                  It is really too bad that the Public at Major Auto Shows could not be impressed with such a huge display. Pretty much wasted on Stockholders as far as Sales promotion goes.

I did see a Refrigerator or Freezer which I am sure would be a Division product in a '63 Daytona Wagonaire.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    I had to think what a Great presentation of Vehicles!
                    It is really too bad that the Public at Major Auto Shows could not be impressed with such a huge display. Pretty much wasted on Stockholders as far as Sales promotion goes.

I did see a Refrigerator or Freezer which I am sure would be a Division product in a '63 Daytona Wagonaire.
                    I agree with your assessment, Rich. The '63 and '64 Studebaker lines are my absolute favorites, with a slight nod going to '64. When I look at the cars in that display--my eyes keep coming back to the black Cruiser--I think, "why didn't these cars sell better?". Nice style, roomy, good use of space, big selection of engines and transmissions and body styles, etc.
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                      Probably mentioned here before, but posted with several 1964 (wonderful) Studebaker commercials which I had never seen before, on youtube.

I shared the shareholder's meeting video with an acquaintance who enjoys 'fintail' M-B's of that period, and he enjoyed the video, and asked me if the big trucks in the background of the M-B display (at about 1:20 in the video) were Unimogs. I don't know; they look like military trucks which were being built at South Bend to me, but does anybody know for sure? They do seem to be displayed near M-B vehicles.
                      Thanks!
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6LpuZEPzx4
                      The Studebaker-Packard Corporation stockholders meeting was held April 26, 1962, in the new the Stepan Center on the University of Notre Dame.

Of those two military looking trucks, the one on the left is definitely a U.S. Army M-35 SeriesM-B Unimog.

At about 2:44 into the film, looks to be John Brandt (the first Notre Dame Leprechaun mascot) with his trademark "chin-strap Irish beard"! Maybe Egbert requested his presence for
                      "Good Luck!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                        I agree with your assessment, Rich. The '63 and '64 Studebaker lines are my absolute favorites, with a slight nod going to '64. When I look at the cars in that display--my eyes keep coming back to the black Cruiser--I think, "why didn't these cars sell better?". Nice style, roomy, good use of space, big selection of engines and transmissions and body styles, etc.
                        Ever heard of skids being greased, finding yourself at the top, and trying to stop the descent, Bill, no matter what you do?

So many factors that have virtually nothing to do with the specific product being offered for sale, 'sorry to say. A prime example of perception being reality. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                        X