Block-off plate and line routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Block-off plate and line routing

Installing an electric fuel pump and new fuel line on my 60 Hawk. Are those Ford/Mopar/Chev block-off plates (see pic) sold by Jegs/Summit/etc appropriate for my 289?

Also, my chassis manual shows the fuel line running along the outboard side of the frame. A friend's 54 has the fuel line running along the inboard side of the frame. Of course, I removed and tossed mine over a year ago and don't remember exactly how it was run. Anyway, thoughts/tips on the best routing of the fuel line?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	morose block-off.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	1738074
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

fuel line routing....inside the frame rail to minimize rock, snow, salt damage from tires, stay away from hot spots (exhaust) and sharp edges, larger radius bends instead of tight bends, use as much steel line as possible, minimize rubber line...that should about do it. no idea about the block off plate on a stude engine. regards, junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

The block off plate you show will fit. Be sure to use RTV on the gasket.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Next question... I think I'm supposed to use a short section of rubber line from the tank to the hard line, right? Should I also flank the new electric fuel pump with short rubber sections...or is it best to go hard line in and out of the electric pump?
        sigpic
        Bob Shaw
        Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

I'd use rubber hose, but go with "blue core" hose for fuel injected systems, if you can find it. It is a lot more resistant to deterioration from modern gas. Someone said on here recently that they found the blue core hose at AutoZone, but they do not have it at AZ here in Kentucky. I wish they did.

Comment

Use short rubber lines at the pump since there are no flares in the pump fittings. It will also make future service easier. Dont forget to use a filter at the pump inlet. Most pumps have one included. Stude. International also sells the correct block off plate and electric fuel pump. If the lines are too near the exhaust you can get various heat shields from Summit. Oh and use an oil pressure switch to turn on the pump during cranking and when the engine is running. If you need any more info or pictures pm me.

Comment

Thanks, all. I did get the oil pressure safety switch when I picked up the elec fuel pump at the South Bend IM last year. I'll see if my FLAPS has the blue core hose.
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Big block Chevy FP block off plates fit Stude V8 engines.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by BShaw View Post
                  Thanks, all. I did get the oil pressure safety switch when I picked up the elec fuel pump at the South Bend IM last year. I'll see if my FLAPS has the blue core hose.
                  Bob

Apparently the Goodyear blue core hose is getting harder to find. If you can't find the blue core be sure the hose you get says Fuel Injection on it and has a number like J30R7 or 9. That's the SAE designation for the injection hose.

Bob

Comment

Okay, got some fuel injection hose and all the other components collected. I was looking under the car to set the fuel pump mounting location. As y'all have said, it should be "as close to the tank as possible". The pump documentation also says the "out" needs to be elevated above level. Mounting the pump on the frame is also recommended. So, with all of that and based on the obstructions, brake line, e-brake line and exhaust location, it looks to me that the "X" in the image below, just forward of the spring mount is my best bet for the fuel pump. Thing is, this is going to be some 30-36 inches of fuel line away from the tank outlet "O". Is that location good enough?

I apologize for being anal about this but I do want to do it right the first time.

sigpic
                    Bob Shaw
                    Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

I put mine at the high point of the frame,directly over the rear axle.
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
                        I put mine at the high point of the frame,directly over the rear axle.
                        Hmmm...didn't look up there thinking accessibility might be a problem drilling/tapping a mounting hole. Will revisit that tomorrow.
                        sigpic
                        Bob Shaw
                        Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Related fuel system question

My gas filler hose between the tank and gas filler pipe (1544586 Gas filler hose) is stiff as a board. Should that be fairly pliable? I'd hate to pop for $20 plus shipping for a new one at SI if it's still gonna be very stiff and a bugger to get attached.
                          sigpic
                          Bob Shaw
                          Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

You should be able to get gas filler hose at any decent auto parts store. Usually sold by the foot. $20 is cheap insurance with gas prices at this high point. Spilling a couple gallons through a leaky filler tube adds up quick. Good time to check the gas cap as well.
                            sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                              You should be able to get gas filler hose at any decent auto parts store. Usually sold by the foot. $20 is cheap insurance with gas prices at this high point. Spilling a couple gallons through a leaky filler tube adds up quick. Good time to check the gas cap as well.
                              And I'll bet you'll be surprised at what a foot of good hose will go for. I suggest that you go in with the exact length you need as most FLAPS sell it by the inch, no sense in buying more than you need. Sal is absolutely correct in his observations.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X