Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which years (and models) do we know of no survivors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which years (and models) do we know of no survivors?

I'd like to see if we can put together a list of all the Studebaker models (with year) that we know of no survivors. Here's a picture of one like the one Edison owned and I don't think any exist. I don't know the year. Just to get things started (sorry about the size):

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

AFAIK, no one has yet found the ONE 1951 Commander Business Coupe supposedly built. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      AFAIK, no one has yet found the ONE 1951 Commander Business Coupe supposedly built. BP
      Was this car black? In about 1962, I saw a black '51 Commander Business Coupe on the back row of the used car lot at Marks Motors Studebaker in Portland. I wasn't impressed, since I wanted a Starlight Coupe - not a business coupe.

Comment

There are several different years and body styles missing before 1912. A few others include any 1939 Convertible sedans, 1934-35 Berline, 1935 President Coupe. 1933 Speedway President 92 St Regis Brougham, 1932 Commander convertible coupe, 1933 President 82 coupe. Probably a few more in the mid 20s.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
          Was this car black? In about 1962, I saw a black '51 Commander Business Coupe on the back row of the used car lot at Marks Motors Studebaker in Portland. I wasn't impressed, since I wanted a Starlight Coupe - not a business coupe.
          No, it was Surf Gray. It was special ordered by Earl Carpenter who managed Paul G. Hoffman's dealership in LA. It was assembled in the Vernon plant (serial 8803316). List was $1620 with the automatic.
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

1958 Broadmoor wagon, 1 of 1 made. AFAIK, still hasn't been located. Any of the 1937-38 Suburban Cars, and the only 1942 Champion station wagon built that was given to the Red Cross for the war effort, then disappeared once the war ended.

Craig

Comment

Did any of the plastic bodied station wagons (47-49)survive? Cannot remember the year but I know a few were built.
              sigpic
              55 President Deluxe
              64 Commander
              66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

As Craig hints in Post #6, there are several 1957 and 1958 models with single-digit or low double-digit production numbers; fleet-sale units not generally available to retail markets.

Among them, with production figures following, are:

1957 President Custom 4-door wagon: 6
                1957 President DeLuxe 2-door wagon: 8
                1957 President DeLuxe 2-door sedan: 8

1957 Champion Custom 4-door wagon: 25
                1957 Champion DeLuxe 4-door wagon: 1

1958 Champion DeLuxe 4-door wagon: 12
                1958 Commander Scotsmans:
                4-door sedan: 37
                2-door sedan: 44
                2-door wagon: 8

It would be nice to find any of those. If someone did run across one, the body tag under the hood would verify the find. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Here's an ad for the 1934 Berline.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16RHJIIE9qTYKCsvBQTBOJO4Ug~~60_57.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1679029
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    I'd like to see if we can put together a list of all the Studebaker models (with year) that we know of no survivors.
                    All model 19671867 Studebakers models either.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      1958 Broadmoor wagon, 1 of 1 made. AFAIK, still hasn't been located. Any of the 1937-38 Suburban Cars, and the only 1942 Champion station wagon built that was given to the Red Cross for the war effort, then disappeared once the war ended.

Craig
                      Really?...Only one 1958 Studebaker President series Broadmoor station wagon was made?....I never would have guessed that!

Comment

1962 two door Lark wagon? Supposedly a few 1961 2 door SW bodies not yet assigned VIN's were fitted with 1962 front clips for a US gov't order.
                        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Yeah, only one '58 President series wagon built, BUT..... I doubt it left the assy line with the "Braodmoor" scripts on the fins. Quite likely it said Provincial. Reason I say that is because all the trim spec'd out in the body parts books for 58 H or 58 B wagons is the same - including those name scripts IIRC. For that matter - look at the "body Symbols" index in the very front of the parts books 58G, B & H P4s are all called Provincials. Since the mount pins (on the name scripts) are located the same as they are on the Provincial (and other various nameplates) a Broadmoor script COULD have been used, but you'd think that would be noted in the parts books. I assume this vehicle would've worn the red medallion on the grille that other 58 Presidents wore - maybe the "PRESIDENT" script on the glovebox too. But until that car surfaces (which I'm betting it never will) we'll never know for sure.

I've always found it curious that Studebaker chose an array of names for 56 & 57 wagons while basically leaving all other sedan offerings to use Champion, Commander or President. How hard would it have been to use a name like Starlight or Windsweep or something suggestive like that on the 58 hardtops? Of course, when they counted on the rear lens attachment screws to provide a ground for the TL - BUL fixtures, you have to wonder if things weren't really getting tight about that time!
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I know of no design #2 4X4 or design #3 2X4 1963 Turtles. Only design #1.
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

There is one of the 2 door 1962 wagons near me, down over a bank, abandoned, and beyond saving. My buddy got the radiator out of it. It has some sort of Gov't stencil on the side. We were nearly eaten alive by mosquitoes looking at it. 259 3 spd.
                              Bish
                              sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
                              1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
                              1959 4E2 4spd, TT
                              1963 8E28 GSA order
                              1963 8E5 SOLD!
                              1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Working...
                              X