• Show
Clear All

• Remote-fill brake fluid reservoir

Click image for larger version

Name:	CEbrakework 006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1738069hudstuff@bellsouth.net
    I talked to Erwin today and asked him for permission to post this here because I like mine so much. He told me that he has several on hand ready to ship. Tom

In every one of my Packards or any other car I have seen or done, with the pedal thru the floor and underfloor master cylinders, remote fill is the only way to go. I always have a hole in the floor with a cover ....covered with carpet in case we needed to get at the unit from above. Good insurance.

Comment

Are these units dual master cylinders?
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Disc brake Hawks were factory-equipped with a remote, under-hood reservoir. I had a '60 Hawk on which the previous owner had installed this system. Unfortunately he also had a Telehoist automatic lube system reservoir under the hood as well. I took the car down the street to my friend's service station to change the oil on the car and the kid working for him added oil to the brake fluid reservoir.
        I believe Jim Turner offers such a reservoir in his kits for under-the-floor master cylinders.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Studebaker offered these on some of the GT hawks and also had it as an earlier accessory where the remote canister that went under the hood was a glass jar. I have a couple of these which I hope to some day take the time to install.
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I had one of these on my 63 GT Hawk.When I was restoring my 56 Golden Hawk about 11 years ago,ı had mine made by a local machinist,it cost less than $20.00.You have to seal the cap that goes into the master cylinder.

Comment

$85 is short money for such a nice reservoir, that is a high-zoot item! Guess it would also be the hot set-up for a clutch master cylinder. I wish to add that if a person hooks up a remote reservoir the special hose is easiest to get from a VW parts supplier. The Volkswagen uses it and it is made from the correct type of material that will not degrade due to the alcohol in brake fluid. [Fuel line hose is of course a no-no].

Comment

posted by oldsalt
                $85 is short money for such a nice reservoir, that is a high-zoot item!
                Haven't heard that term in a while, so you must be almost as old as me, but that was my first thought when I read the post.

It is a nice looking, quality part for the money.

Bob

Comment

Does anyone have an original 1963-64 Hawk disc brake remote reservoir they would like to sell. Actually I am after more than one if anyone can help.

Thanks, Chris.

Comment

You've made this too hard.. For the Champ, just sealed other end of a bad master cylinder and ran a piece of brake line to the real one under the floorboard through a fitting where the vent hole used to be. Looks original, cost one bolt for seal, 2 fittings and piece of brake line and I didn't even have to pay postage to get it here.

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
                      You've made this too hard.. For the Champ, just sealed other end of a bad master cylinder and ran a piece of brake line to the real one under the floorboard through a fitting where the vent hole used to be. Looks original, cost one bolt for seal, 2 fittings and piece of brake line and I didn't even have to pay postage to get it here.
                      Wow!....Never thought of that one. That's a practical, low cost mod!

Comment

Merlin, do you have pics of your setup you could post.
                        Originally posted by mmagic View Post
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The one in my 2R5.3 is a dual unit... Click image for larger version

Name:	byebye 006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1682527
                          Jon Stalnaker
                          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                          X