Steering Column Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Steering Column Setup

I have dis-assembled the steering column of my 1964 Daytona -(standard trans), cleaned all of the gunk out and now want to replace the shaft linkages. I forgot to record the placement of the upper linkage arm. It has a slight bend and I'm not sure if the curvature should be pointing towards the bottom of the column or towards the top.

Any help would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	steering lever.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1738067

Thanks

T-cab

Check out the parts manual. It shows how everything fits together.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The drawing in the parts book is inconclusive. The drawing does not show any curvature on the upper lever, however the one on my car has a slight curvature as the photo shows. If somepone could check their car to see which direction the curvature is pointing to would be appreciative.

Thanks

T-cab

Comment

I just went out to the garage where I have 62' and 63' standard tranny set ups with one tube and levers off the car. There is no curve in either lever arms for that lever you show. The other (2nd/3rd gear lever) does have a zig zag offset and looks very different (see your other lever). Yours is bent. As correctly shown in the parts' book...the larger diameter side of the rubber grommet is towards the shifter lever/steering wheel.....Put it in the vice...GL

Comment

Thanks GL. I never thought that there could be a bend. The car has been in the family since new. It must have got bent sometime when the engine was removed.

Thanks

T-cab

Comment

Speed shifting a 3 on the tree can bend a lot of things.........lol. Brother-in-law slammed second gear, broke the lever off and smashed the windshield in a 55 Chevy. Broke 2 fingers and we couldn't stop laughing long enough to take him to the doctor. Ended up taping all 4 fingers together and let them heal............oh, and installed a floor shift.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
            X