Canadian Studebaker 1964 Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Studebaker 1964 Video

No sound, not sure some of this has been shown before.

That is way cool, I have to wonder who would have an old 8 or 16mm Movie Film in B&W and no sound from the Day the first loads left Hamilton, the Photographer even got in the U.S. Customs view Office! And then someone had to copy them to CD or some other modern media.

This is quite Historic, I always love seeing Brand New Cars like that, it confims my suspicions that most or all of the '64 Imports had the really neat "DISHED" Head light Doors we just talked about yesterday.

My Dad's Imported late '64 Daytona Hardtop did have them, and it is possible that the same vendor produced some used on late '64 U.S. Cars and for sure early '65's, but that is hard to verify.

It is interesting however, that the White Commander 6, 4 Door that they OK's for delivery did not have ANY headlight Doors!

I have never seen or even heard of this Video before.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

'Way cool, indeed; thanks.

'Sure had a lot of snow...and those guys had to really have "a pair" to be backing new cars up those ramps with things so potentially slippery. Whew! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
        No sound, not sure some of this has been shown before.
        Wow! Brings back memories. When I picked up my Wagonaire at the factory in Hamilton I had to go through that Customs Office. I left Hamilton in the late afternoon and drove to Windsor, Ontario (had to wait until morning to cross). Next morning I got up at the motel and headed for the Customs Office. The turkeys didn't open until 10 am (supposed to have been 8 am) so I had to sit around there waiting on them. Once I got through I entered Detroit and was driving through the city on sort of a freeway. I was following a lowboy semi-trailer carrying a bulldozer. He hit a bump and big chunk of dirt flew off the trailer and bounced up in to my windshield. I had owned the car less than 24 hours and already got a chip in the windshield.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Great film, that white Commander 4 door looks like the one my Dad purchased!
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

The only thing that would have made the video better would be to have had a Transtar or Diesel Tractor pulling that trailer load of cars!
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Looks like Dallas or Chicago got the first US cars, That'd be the place to look for low serial #'s
              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I like how the guy in the suit scrawls writing all over the driver's side of the windshield right before someone is supposed to drive the car away. I also agree with Bob about backing the cars onto the trailer. That would be scary as h*** to do even under ideal weather conditions, let alone winter time.

Dave Bonn
                '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post
                  I like how the guy in the suit scrawls writing all over the driver's side of the windshield right before someone is supposed to drive the car away. I also agree with Bob about backing the cars onto the trailer. That would be scary as h*** to do even under ideal weather conditions, let alone winter time.

Dave Bonn
                  '54 Champion Starliner
                  The guy in the suit is Manufacturing Vice President Bill Moeser and the other man is President Gordon Grundy. Bill is using chalk to mark the car as the first to the U.S. I am proud to say this promo was one of my efforts. My only memory lapse is who we got to do the filming but it might well have been Hamilton's CHCH-TV. I donated all my 16mm and 35mm archival films to the Studebaker National Museum about 3 years ago so perhaps Andy Beckman has the original footage of this clip on file. By the way, the weather that day is just about the same as it is today. I visited the plant again last week and the only thing left standing is three of the outer walls. Very soon everything will be just a memory.
                  Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
                  X