Should have , could have , would have, but didn't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should have , could have , would have, but didn't

Just came across these 4 pictures of a 59-60 silver hawk, these were taken in West ST. Paul, Minnesota back in the winter of 1968 the price was $55.00 bucks this car was sitting at the corner of Smith Ave. and Dodd Rd. for any one that knows the area, I know John Seaton would if he were to see these he grew up in this area. I should have bought it but didn't, wonder if any one out there did and still has it?

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

It looks like a 1960 Hawk. Just think - it was only an eight year old used car then. That seems cheap, even for then. I would have thought $300-$500.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      It looks like a 1960 Hawk. Just think - it was only an eight year old used car then. That seems cheap, even for then. I would have thought $300-$500.
      It appears to be a '59. The three little pieces of chrome aren't present on the forward part of the fin, and lack of wheel opening trim would indicate its a six cylinder. Probably a $200 car with only a six cylinder back then.

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 02-13-2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Bob. Where you from mn back then or just passing though? If only we had know back then right. You could buy a 55-57 chev in good running condition in 68 for $200-300. When I got out of the army in 71 the local dodge dealer had a daytona charger they couldn't get rid of. I know if someone where to walk in there with $3000 or a little less you would have drove home in a new car. How times have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
          Just came across these 4 pictures of a 59-60 silver hawk, these were taken in West ST. Paul, Minnesota back in the winter of 1968 the price was $55.00 bucks this car was sitting at the corner of Smith Ave. and Dodd Rd. for any one that knows the area, I know John Seaton would if he were to see these he grew up in this area. I should have bought it but didn't, wonder if any one out there did and still has it?

It's 1961, I'm on my way to work and go past a local low price used car lot. Setting in the back is a 53K with an SBC installed. I'd never seen one before but what a beautiful car. Kinda rusty but sounded great. The bad news - $75 couldn't afford it. The good news - fueled my lust for 53/54K's and later Avanti's.

Finally in 1990, kids grown, decent job Found a 54K in South Carolina for $1100 and towed it home. 23 years later still have it and two Avanti II's also.

So I can identify with someone that didn't buy an inexpensive Stude.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
            Bob. Where you from mn back then or just passing though? If only we had know back then right. You could buy a 55-57 chev in good running condition in 68 for $200-300. When I got out of the army in 71 the local dodge dealer had a daytona charger they couldn't get rid of. I know if someone where to walk in there with $3000 or a little less you would have drove home in a new car. How times have changed.
            Steve I have passed through there many times since I left in 1959, yes I grew up in the St. Paul Area went to Humboldt High in 56-57 the West ST Paul high in 58-59 my family lived the but all are gone now my younger brother played base ball in the twins organization after high school he signed with them in the fall of 63 and played for 10 years for them but never made the bigs, came close to being called up a few times but nothing higher that AAA he knew all the great ones from the 60's and 70's even roomed with Bert Blyleven in AA was really close to Geo. Mitterwald when he came there they roomed together in AA and AAA in Denver. These pictures were taken in 68 winter when I was back there working as a carpenter because it was raining cat and dogs out here that year, I worked for 3 months in the snow building houses. Ya I know my way around the twin cities and up north Hibbing and Lake of the Woods area still have some family there.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

I can think of a lot of Studebakers for sale i looked at in the late 60s and early 70s that were ridiculously cheap by today's standards, but some of them would have been good deals and some of them were just too high priced, for the times. I bought a black '64 Daytona hardtop (the one that was the Keystone Region raffle car a few years ago) for about $325 in 1975. That was probably the best deal I ever made of all the ones I've had. It was in very good original condition at the time.

Dave Bonn
              '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Growing up in Austin, MN - a friend of the family bought a 1961 Hawk to restore - it would have been about 1969/70, as after he bought the Hawk, he sold his other restoration 'project' to my dad. The Twin Cities being about a2 hours drive (from my childhood memory) - it could be the same car - if so, he did restore it, and took it to South Bend for several meets - selling it in the mid 70's.

It was a light blue, with a white stripe on the fins - between the chrome strips. Beautiful car!

Drew

Comment

Originally posted by drew72mgb View Post
                  It was a light blue, with a white stripe on the fins - between the chrome strips. Beautiful car!
                  Could this one have been it? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ye-Candy/page4

Craig

Comment

Craig-
                    That is what I remember! Stunning car! Your picture shows a Nebraska license plate. He sold the Hawk in the mid-70's - was too afraid of driving it, figured he would get crunched.

Where / when was this picture taken?

Drew

Comment

Dave, Car is still in great condition after being in the care of Jim Bradley, before we bought and used it as the Keystone Raffle car. It is currently in CT used regularly in the summer by the gentleman who won it. He drove it back to Hershey several years ago, since that was where he bought the winning ticket. Nice to know of your envolvement in it's preservation. Gordon Kertzel

Comment

Originally posted by drew72mgb View Post
                        Craig-
                        That is what I remember! Stunning car! Your picture shows a Nebraska license plate. He sold the Hawk in the mid-70's - was too afraid of driving it, figured he would get crunched.

Where / when was this picture taken?
                        North Central Zone Meet, September, 2008, Rapid City, South Dakota.

Craig

Comment

I purchased a 1949 ford in 1953, a four year old car with 10,000 miles for the great sum of only $300.00. This car sold new for around $1650.00 This just explains what is happening to the value of our dollar.

Don
                          don

Comment

Working...
                          X