Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences in 1964 non-R engine fender chevrons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences in 1964 non-R engine fender chevrons?

'Got this inquiry as a PM from Rob Reese a couple days ago and finally got around to investigating it this morning to answer him:

Bob: Congrats on the '64 wagon again. As kindred spirits of all things '64 I was wondering ....how many different chevrons did Stude use on these cars? The reason I ask is that I found an "odd ball" in looking through parts for York. I found a chevron that has a raised "8" where the 8 usually is. It is a lot higher than the other chevrons I have with casting # of 1360157. This also is different from the others w/same # but have curved edges instead of the squared off edges. Dennis Lambert told me years ago that they went with other vendors for them. BTW the casting # on the chevron in question is 1353735-Roth 974. The original 1360157 is stamped Roth 974-1-2. I tried to get pics but can't because of my flash. Just thought I'd mention it to you to post as I can't get pics up. Thanks.
    Rob Reese AKA Rob in PA.

I had never paid any close attention to them, so went out and investigated one fender chevron from each of my '64 Daytonas. All have a slightly raised 8, but there is a differenmce in the texture of the panels on either side of the 8.

The sedan and convertible are both 4-digit serial numbers (after 64V, of course) and were built in September 1963.

The Convertible's chevron, smooth side panels:

The Sedan's chevron, smooth side panels:

The hardtop and wagon, have five-digit serial numbers and were built in late October 1963. Their chevrons have lightly grooved side panels:

The Hardtop's chevron, grooved side panels:

The "new" Wagon's chevron, grooved side panels:

I had never noticed any difference before Rob called it to my attention, so, obviously, there may have been more than one vendor for these emblems. Thus, I am unable to provide any additional insight on the matter, or answer Rob's question(s) specifically. (And I don't have any "loose" ones to look at the casting numbers on the backsides, either.)

Comments, anyone? BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

My second owner (ever since 1980) '64 Cruiser, 64V63xx, has smooth on the driver's side, and grooved on the passenger's?
    Do not remember replacing either.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      I had never noticed any difference before Rob called it to my attention, so, obviously, there may have been more than one vendor for these emblems.
      Comments, anyone?
      You mean like your headlight bezels, Bob??!?

Craig

Comment

I am pretty sure that the smooth ones are just Silver foil Decals on the reproduction Emblems that have been out there for many years. The 2 different "courseness of ribs" on those outer areas probably do represent TWO different OEM Studebaker Suppliers' original parts.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Comments, anyone? BP

Both of the ones on my 64 Cruiser parts car are this type. S/N 64V11553
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            You mean like your headlight bezels, Bob??!? Craig
            Puh-leeze, Craig; the proper terminology is headlamp doors! BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Lol! We MAY have finally gotten him Bob, did you look them up? On '47-'63 they were always called Headlight RIMS.

But '64-'66 trully ARE Doors, if they called them that or not.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Bob, 64V15870 has the grooved emblems on both sides. This is a relatively low mileage car with factory undercoating and the undercoating appears undisturbed on the emblem pins.

Comment

I could be wrong but I always thought that the grooved version were the 64's and the smooth were 65s.

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                    Bob, 64V15870 has the grooved emblems on both sides. This is a relatively low mileage car with factory undercoating and the undercoating appears undisturbed on the emblem pins.
                    That would be consistent with what we found here, Bill. Your 15870 is a little higher than my wagon's 15196, and it seems like the grooved units started 'way before that. What will be unusual is if we have any serial numbers higher than yours or mine with smooth inserts. BP

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                      I could be wrong but I always thought that the grooved version were the 64's and the smooth were 65s.
                      If that was true, Jeff, all four of the chevrons on my September 1963-built convertible and sedan would have had to be changed along the way, and I doubt that, from examining under the cars. BP

Comment

Puh-leeze, Craig; the proper terminology is headlamp doors! [B]BP
                        Um...I think these emblems we are discussing are parallelograms; not 'chevrons'!!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          Um...I think these emblems we are discussing are parallelograms; not 'chevrons'!!!

Craig
                          Good one, Craig; Mea Culpa. BP

Comment

My Daytona has the groved ones and it was a late October build (64V-15001).
                            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I had a 64 Cruiser parts car that was very original, but it had one with an 8 on it on one side and just a smooth one on the other side. But i bought it in the early nintys so anything could have happend. it was just a parts car so i didnt really care much about it.
                              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                              X