No announcement yet.

Lights + ignition switch=years? (pic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Lights + ignition switch=years? (pic)

About to send someone the switch below and was wondering about when Studebaker started offering illumination on the ignition switch as an accessory. I have looked at a couple of TWs and they do not list them in the articles on specific models where they list all the accessories available. I am guessing from 55 to the end when they went to the inset ignition switch...but that is only a guess.

Far older than that. My 41 Champion has a light on the ignition. It is mounted separatly in the dash rather than on the switch though. I think it was a standard feature so it would probably not show up on the accessory lists.

Nathan

Comment

Except for '63 Standards and '64 Challengers, which left off the ignition lamp.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Interesting - Our Lucy - '60 Lark convertible - does not have such a light, but one is shown in the wiring diagram! Anybody have just the light device available, please? Thanks Tom

Comment

Looking at the great photo that 62champ supplied, Lucy does not have the white plastic outer ring, which looks like the lighted piece. Am I right on how it is lighted? Ours is a Regal like all convertibles, one-owner, V-8, auto, etc. Thanks Tom

Comment

A regal car should have the light mounted on the switch. I think its a #1445 bulb. Probably powers off the switch itself in 1960. That off-white plastic piece has a recessed groove on the long side to accept the aligning nub for situating the switch correctly in the dash opening. You may or may not experience the switch twisting in the dash depending upon how stiff the retaining spring is drawing the switch into/onto the dash......You should have one...I probably have 4 in the attic.....

Comment

Hm. I sure don't remember that on my '60 Lark VI.

Comment

The white round item that goes under the spring and butts up against the switch is used as an insulator.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                  The white round item that goes under the spring and butts up against the switch is used as an insulator.
                  Doesn't it also funnel light through the little peephole in the bezel to light the keyway?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Yes, the Translucent Ring does get lighted by the light and enters into the key hole though the small hole in the Correct Chrome Bezel.

There is no need to insulate the switch since it is not externally "Hot", it merely Switches the + current and is internally Insulated.

You would not find one on MOST Lark Sixes because most were not Regals, but Deluxes.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

jackb: You are soooooo right. Our switch does twist a good bit in the dash; I thought it was merely wear. I covet one of your off-white plastic pieces plus the light holding shade as above. I don't know the protocol for making an offer/consumating a deal on our Studebaker Drivers Forum. I don't wish to screw up and be banned. I really depend on those of your who have already invented the wheel. Should I email you? Give you my email address? or.... Thank you, Tom on behalf of Lucy

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy the Lark View Post
                        jackb: You are soooooo right. Our switch does twist a good bit in the dash; I thought it was merely wear. I covet one of your off-white plastic pieces plus the light holding shade as above. I don't know the protocol for making an offer/consumating a deal on our Studebaker Drivers Forum. I don't wish to screw up and be banned. I really depend on those of your who have already invented the wheel. Should I email you? Give you my email address? or.... Thank you, Tom on behalf of Lucy
                        If the entire switch twists in the dash, you might take it out and see if it was put in wrong or something else is wrong. The dash hole should have a small cut out on top that should line up with a "nub" on the switch housing. With the switch in the dash, the slot for the key should be toward the bottom and the teeth of the key will be up when it slides into the tumblers.

The above switch is already en-route to a family member who is having trouble with an old switch. You can always inquire in a new thread for a switch or you can take a peek on the Studebaker Swap page to see what might be out there.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy the Lark View Post
                          I covet one of your off-white plastic pieces plus the light holding shade as above. I don't know the protocol for making an offer/consumating a deal on our Studebaker Drivers Forum. I don't wish to screw up and be banned.
                          No worries Tom - you can offer and consummate all you like here You have to work really, really hard to get banned!

BTW, all of these pieces but the lamp are reproduced by Studebaker International, including the switch, bezel, plastic ring, tension spring etc. When I re-wired my car, I got a used switch off ePay, and it worked... for about 6 months. The return spring was weak and contacts intermittent. I wound up doing what I should've done to begin with - buying new parts and moving my OE lamp over to them. For what it's worth

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                            /Cut/If the entire switch twists in the dash, you might take it out and see if it was put in wrong or something else is wrong. The dash hole should have a small cut out on top that should line up with a "nub" on the switch housing. With the switch in the dash, the slot for the key should be toward the bottom and the teeth of the key will be up when it slides into the tumblers.Good luck
                            Actually the "keyway" that properly "Clocks" the switch is not the Plastic Ring or the Switch Housing on a stock switch assembly, it is the Chrome Bezel that has the notch to fit the notch in the dash.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The plastic ring has a groove, all the way around the circumference. This must face the dash to clear the notch of the chrome retaining bezel. If it is installed upside-down, it will push the notch out of the dash, because it is spring loaded. This will cause your whole ignition switch to rotate within the dash.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X