headrests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: headrests

Has anyone put head rests on a gt hawk front seats? and if so what did you use and how did you mount them.

Steve, I found a pair of used originals and installed them per the instructions on my 64 GT. I had to have the covers redone by a good upholstery shop, and had them use an original cover as a pattern. Dan

Comment

Dan Do you have any pictures of your headrests installed? What do they look close to? I have the options book that came with my car new and they show them in there. Look somewhat like a mid size gm to me.

Comment

I am interested also, I am in the process of of having my front seats redone and was thinking of how to ad head rests, if for no other reason than for safety
        I remember the round cylinder shaped ones you could buy at any auto parts store in the late sixties
        Mark Riesch
        New Bern, NC

Comment

You can add original headrests to your GT . As I recall the directions tell you to cut a notch in one of the seat springs due to possible interference with the ash tray. I have them on several of my '64's,mostly split recliners but do have a pair for the '64 GT. I have a template somewhere for installation of the headrests in various seating types Let me know I'll try to post somehow.
          Rob in PA.

Comment

Rob. Post template if you can I'am sure a lot of guys would like to see it. Do you know of anyone selling reproductions? If a guy had one to copy theres not that much to one.

Comment

OK-here's a shot. Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0067.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1678975

Comment

Steve, also do a forum thread search for headrest. Go down to one started on 07-04-2007. There are pictures of headrests on different models and years. Down near the end of that thread, I included a picture of the different posts used and a picture of the casing. Dan

Comment

Dan That helps on how they where mounted to the seats. Your covers look a little different then what it shows in my 64's book. But still looks nice on the seats. I dont miss them being there but one of the frist things the wife said when she rode in it was {What no headrests or seat belts} Had to show her it did have seatbelts.

Comment

swvalcon-there would be quite a bit of fabricating involved as you have the headrest but you need the brackets that fit into the seat frame. I really don't know how safe these things are & don't want to test them either as the post could move forward as your head ges backward in a rear collision. I'll ask my buddy to see if he can post installation instructions.
                    Rob in PA.

Comment

I don't think they would be of any use in an accident for me. I'm 6'5" and my head hits the roof as it is. Even with head rests, they don't even reach my shoulders.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                      X