'62 Studebaker Champ Truck - self serve yard, Los Angeles area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '62 Studebaker Champ Truck - self serve yard, Los Angeles area

I was at the U-Pull Parts (not Pick A Part) in Sun Valley, CA today and there is a '62 Studebaker Champ truck. The driveline looked intact. The windshield was good. The hood and front metal looked good. Not sure on the side glass as it was rolled down. Drivers door had a fair sized dent, the passenger door showed rust. There was repair metal on the floors. The tail gate was missing. Lastly there was a sliding rear window. Not sure if that is stock.

We're not suppose to take pictures in the yard..., but apparently when I pulled my phone out to see the time..., the camera must have accidentally gone off.

I don't live close by, so I can't go back, but for those that might have interest... .

Tom
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wittsend; 02-08-2013, 04:03 PM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Someone should pick it up. It looks to be in better shape then mine was when I restred it.

T-cab

Comment

That's different, it HAS the Palma required Battery hold own, but no Battery!

I also noticed that they Cut the Rad. Hose, that must be in preparation for removal of the Engine or Radiator.

An OHV Six is probably less common than a V8, but they still have the same Rear End, Brakes and other parts.

Yes, the first sliding window in a Truck Cab TIKO was Standard on the Deluxe Cab 1960 to 1964 Champ Trucks.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Yes, the first sliding window in a Truck Cab TIKO was Standard on the Deluxe Cab 1960 to 1964 Champ Trucks.
        Rich,
        That issue (first sliding window) was discussed many years ago in TW. It was found that Ford had some in trucks back in the '20s, I think. For modern times, yes, it would seem like Stude was the first.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

True. I have literature for my 41 Ford pickup showing the sliding rear window. I believe Bob Drake in Grants Pass, Oregon is making repros for them.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
            We're not suppose to take pictures in the yard..., but apparently when I pulled my phone out to see the time..., the camera must have accidentally gone off.

Tom
            Why would they care if you took photos or not? Unless, they charge people to get into the yard whether you get anything or not...

Comment

If they would sell the whole truck.... Put it in shipping container, send it east COD, to me!
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

62 Champ,

They DO require an entrance fee ($2.00). I think the greater issue is liability. Should you get injured they probably don't want you to have proof (or "stage" proof). I've been going to self serve yards for nearly 40 years and "No Cameras" has always been posted. Today, with cameras in cell phones it is a lot harder to (knowingly) enforce. In an associated yard they had a "for sale" section with complete cars. Since this wasn't in the general yard itself I thought they would have no issues of my taking pictures of a car I thought someone would have interest in. But, before I could get the second picture on my phone the guard at the gate came over and stopped me.

Tom
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I was there today. The front bumper, front end panel & both fenders are gone. The radiator is in the bed of the truck. The engine has a tag on the left side from a rebuilding company but the speedo is gone so mileage is unknown. I wish I had a way of getting the bed. It would make a neat trailer to tow behind one of my Champs.

This yard is located at 11409 Penrose St in Sun Valley. It's called "U Pick Parts".
                  Last edited by Warren Webb; 02-10-2013, 06:39 PM.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Wow, that was fast. Friday when I left about noon everything in the picture was still there. Gone by Sunday. Thanks for correcting on the name (Pick - not Pull). Geez, I've been going there for almost 35 years you would think I'd get it right.

In self serve yards this stuff is getting so hard to find. Last time I saw a "Lark type (64-66)," like I have, was about six years ago - 400 miles from home in Sacramento. And it was pretty gutted. I probably make about 40 yard trips a year. 60's cars represent less than 1% of what is out there and 70's maybe 2%. Even the early 80's stuff is dropping off. The Mopar sections are tiny (mostly FWD) and AMC almost non-existent (save for Jeep).

Tom

Comment

My friend from Whittier, CA, made two trips to scavenge from this Champ. Today he took the rear springs and shackles and the windshield. He and I used to patrol these yards (in the LA-Riverside areas) on an regular basis in the 80s and on into the 90s. Made some truly great Stude parts finds too. One time there was a '57 Silver Hawk that was all there. When I peeked under the front seat there were NOS parts still in the wrappers - one of which was the aluminum dash and glove box overlay pieces! Many cars had gesket sets or new brake parts in the trunk or back seat. I once found a bag of tools that had been under the passengers seat for years.
                      Anyway, wittsend, my friend wished that I come back to this thread and say thanks for the heads up. Knowing that he needed a few Champ parts, I had told him of this thing last week. When he got there on Saturday the front clip was gone, but the parts he was seeking were still there. So he's happy now.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Tell your friend he is very welcome and I'm glad to have posted to help a guy out. I live about 45 miles from the three self serve yards in that area. So, I only get down that way when the larger Pick A Part has their 50% off sales. They are not quite once a month, but due tend to fall close to holidays on a "near" monthly basis. As I find them, I'll post them.

Tom

Comment

Thanks again. Sad to say, tho I posted that a '38 President sedan was in one of those yards last year (My friend had found it while on a trip for something else), no one took anything off it as far as he could see. There was lots there and it was a solid example. Of course, the grille and some other trim bits were gone, but the driveline and sheet metal were mostly just waiting for a savior.
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                          X