PDA

View Full Version : For pilots out there...Aeronca for sale...

Gunslinger
02-08-2013, 03:25 PM
I know some of the members here are pilots or know pilots. About two years ago a long-time friend passed away and recently his wife passed also. Among many things he collected over the years is an Aeronca light plane and friends who are handling the estate need to dispose of it...I told them I'd put the word out and see if I could find someone interested. My friend was a WWII vet and post-war worked with Eddie Rickenbacker at Eastern Airlines before several other careers.

I don't have the particulars on the plane...I know it dates from the late 1940's and is, I believe, a Champ model but I'm not sure of it. The aircraft sits disassembled behind their house in Rockville, MD. I have no idea whether it's restorable or good only for parts. It's been many years since it's been airworthy.

If anyone is interested...or knows someone who might be...please send me a message and I'll give them the contact information to the fellows handling the estate. Whomever would buy the aircraft would have to put in the effort to remove it...my friends handling things have their hands full dealing with the house itself along with other estate issues.

JBOYLE
02-08-2013, 03:48 PM
I'd love a Champ, most of the the goodness of a Cub without the inflated price the Cub name brings.

It might be interesting, but kept outside in Maryland makes me wonder about the viability of the project. The fuselage tubes could be rusted, and the wings with wood spars might be suspect as well.
I know of a similarly stored ex-U.S. Army L-18 (post war Super Cub) in the UK, and I've been told its toast because of corrosion...despite being worth a pretty penny if restored.

I'm seriously thinking about selling one of my cars and buying a plane. Fear of the costs of re-covering a fabic plane are making me lean towards something that's all metal...an early classic 150 or something weird like a rare Mooney Cadet.

studegary
02-08-2013, 03:56 PM
The last small plane that I rode in was a restored Aeronca Champ (1939, I think). It was a lot of fun. It was piloted by the owner of the company that I worked for at that time. He was in a B17 that was shot down in WWII making him a POW. He is since deceased. I don't know about the plane.

Gunslinger
02-08-2013, 04:36 PM
I think the plane is a Champ or Super Champ but I'm just not sure. As I said...it may be worth something for parts if nothing else. I know my friend kept saying he was going to restore it (where have we all heard that before?). He and his wife used to fly it regularly...they got married in the mid-1960's so it was airworthy then, but as with cars...that was a long time ago. I don't know when it was last flown before being disassembled.

He once showed me his pilot's license...dated 1952...the year I was born.

63 R2 Hawk
02-08-2013, 05:15 PM
I live in an airpark and my neighbor has a Champ, along with a Stearman, a Beech Staggerwing and some other interesting planes. If you can send me some pics and any additional info, I'll ask him. It probably doesn't have a lot of value the way it is.
enjoyus63@msn.com

hausdok
02-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Gunslinger,

I copied your thread and sent it to my brother. He's a retired A&P and a flight instructor and owns two Aercoupes and has part ownership in a newer Cessna. He might know someone interested in restoring a vintage plane. He hangs out with folks that do that as a hobby.

Gunslinger
02-08-2013, 08:31 PM
I appreciate anything you guys can do to spread the word. I don't have any pics...the guy's house is a bit of a distance from me...the plane is gated in and covered with a tarp. If I can get there anytime soon I'll see about getting some pics.

hausdok
02-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Hi,

Got an answer. He says he already has too many planes out back. He'll spread the word though and if anyone is interested he'll get in touch.

JBOYLE
02-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Likewise, I'll mention it to my antique aircraft owning friends.
But like cars, the distance might be a deal-breaker for them.

hausdok
02-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Likewise, I'll mention it to my antique aircraft owning friends.
But like cars, the distance might be a deal-breaker for them.Not sure. Plane guys seem to be a little bit fanatical - kind of like Stude folks. He lives in South Carolina and last year climbed in his diesel duelly and drove all the way to Idaho to pick up a set of used wings for one of his Aercoupes. Then he lugged them all the way home and spent a bunch of time repairing cracks in them. I was like, "Huh, they had cracks in 'em and you're going to use 'em?!!" He just chuckled and said that they're better now than when they were new. Hmmmm??!!