Making white walls into black wall tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Making white walls into black wall tires

My car has good quality, whitewall tires with little wear. I'd like them to be black walls. I have heard that there is (or was) a product on the market to do this. I can find black to white but not the other way. Can't find anything on the web. Suggestions please.
    Andrew

Originally posted by Clover Green View Post
    My car has good quality, whitewall tires with little wear. I'd like them to be black walls. I have heard that there is (or was) a product on the market to do this. I can find black to white but not the other way. Can't find anything on the web. Suggestions please.
    Andrew
    Turn 'em around, black side out

Bob

Comment

Beat me to it!

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

Bob
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

duh,... unless he paid extra for the double sided ones.

HeHe.

Dean.

Comment

In the olden days you could get "Tire Dressing" or "Tire Black". The used car lots would paint the tires with it to make them look new. I don't know if it's still available or not.
          Andrew
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I think someone had good enough taste to not make any Blackout Paint for you!

I think Narrow Whites look even better than Wide Whites do, even on pre-1963 Models where they do not belong.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

Bob
              Tried that - it's a pre-war car. The white wall is still very visible on the reversed tire.

Comment

There is lots of "white " out there (for lettering etc.) and various colours but no black. Also lots of tire dressing to shine up black tires but its a clear dressing, not coloured.

Comment

The folks at H.A.M.B. talked about it a few months back.

------------------------

Google "tire black paint" pulled up some pigmented products =

"forever black"

Bowes
                  Bowes Seal Fast provides tire repair patches, tire repair equipment, wheel weights, tire plugs, chemicals, and a full offering of other automotive products on a wholesale basis.

Comment

Flip em and before you put them back on the vehicle, go over all the white with some black shoe polish - As hard as whitewall are to keep clean, you will probably never see white again...

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                      Flip em and before you put them back on the vehicle, go over all the white with some black shoe polish - As hard as whitewall are to keep clean, you will probably never see white again...
                      Shoe polish or 'tire black', which definitely is still available.

Comment

Get a couple cans of vinyl paint/like for plastic or vinyl. Don't make it to heavy and paint the whitewalls only. Spray em black after cleaning them thoroughly. If they turn out glossy just run a scotch-brite pad over them to dull them up. Personally, I would just use some flat black from Dollar general. cheers jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Grampa took fence paint, spun the tires around and made his own whitewalls, you could do do the same with roofing tar....

Andrew
                          Ron Dame
                          '63 Champ

Comment

Thanks Dan. Big help.

Comment

Working...
                            X