PDA

View Full Version : Identify this car?

JimC
02-06-2013, 12:14 AM
A pastor at our church has this photo on his blog. What is it? Jaguar maybe? I can tell it's British, but I stink with identifying British models!

The image is huge, so I'm just going to include a link - click here (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vmpVaSKIO9U/TovRGgf_dAI/AAAAAAAAAh8/z2BdftP6kvQ/s1600/cool+car.jpg)

JimC
02-06-2013, 12:15 AM
The driver looks a bit like "The most interesting man in the world" from those Dos Equis commercials. :)

8E45E
02-06-2013, 06:21 AM
Appears to be a Frazer-Nash

Craig

JRoberts
02-06-2013, 08:42 AM
It looks sort of like the Frazer-Nash, but the wheels lead me to believe it is some kind of a kit car. The headlights look bigger than those on a Frazer-Nash.

http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Frazer%20Nash/36-Frazer-Nash-Emeryson-TT_DV-11-MM-01.jpg

8E45E
02-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Frazer-Nash was VERY popular as a replicar in the 1970's. The tires do give it away.

Craig

Dougie
02-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Wheels definitely give it away as a kit

hausdok
02-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Hi,

Yeah, I thought it was a kit too when I noticed the little round silver object directly in front of the rear wheel. If I'm not mistaken, that't the outer end of a VW torsion bar suspension member and there's probably been no other car so universally converted to kits than VW bugs.

plwindish
02-06-2013, 12:44 PM
I was going to say old MG, but too long and big for an MG. There was another Nash-Fiat?? car used for racing on the Hemmings pages a couple of days ago.

dictator27
02-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Hate to say it guys, but that IS a Fraser Nash. No VW ever had that kind of front suspension or friction shock absorber. Likewise, the wheels and brake drums are right along with the headlight supports.

http://www.frazernash.co.uk/

Terry

Skinnys Garage
02-06-2013, 09:33 PM
The car in the original post is a VW kit car (you can even see the steering box peaking out in front of the tire). Terry, the photo in post #4 isn't the car in question, check the 'click here' on Jim's original post. Skinny

JimC
02-07-2013, 12:43 AM
I sorta thought it might be a kit car from the wheels, but again, I'm horrid at British cars. My wife's grandpa had a 1930-something Jaguar kit car. It had wheels that looked more era-correct than this one though.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to let the pastor know that the Studebaker sleuths solved yet another mystery.

GThawkwind
02-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Not just the wheels but also look at front bumper it looks homemade to me. Of course theres nothing wrong with a kit car but the wheels and front bumper can't be right for the original car.

t walgamuth
02-07-2013, 05:12 AM
it might be a SS Jaguar kit. My neighbor has one. I believe his has a tube chassis and some sort of four cylinder Pintoish motor. I noticed that round thing too thinking maybe it was a VW suspension part, but the bottom of the car in question does not resemble a vw floor pan to me so makes me think it may be one of those tube chassis cars like my neighbors.

it is really an odd choice of wheels. On a lovely like that I would expect some variation of "wire" wheels.

avantilover
02-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Has to be a kit, the poms didn't make any car that good LOL.

dictator27
02-07-2013, 02:11 PM
There are times when it pays to drain the swamp first or you find yourself up to your a*s in alligators! :oops: :o I obviously didn't do that here and assumed that the actual FN was the car in question. Having now looked at the actual car I agree that it must be a kit car. I'm not sure that it is VW based though. There is an open space behind the driver which would likely eliminate a rear engine. Besides, how many "real" FN's had left hand drive? Few if any I would think.

Here are more photos of the real FN in post #4.

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/1163-Frazer-Nash-Emeryson%20TT%20Replica-1500%20c.c.%20Meadows

Terry

hausdok
02-08-2013, 01:28 AM
Has to be a kit, the poms didn't make any car that good LOL.Ha, you got me there for a minute. I googled poms. Now I get it.

Thank you wickipedia.