Other cars that look like Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other cars that look like Studebakers

I wanted to start a thread here about Studebaker wannabeeeees: Here's a Jawa Minor

Click image for larger version

Name:	7843439406_7d7d7f561b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1738010

I know there are lots of others, too. Has anyone seen a photo of the Brasinca 4200? Lots of Avanti in that one.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

The Early 60's Plymouth Valiant seems to have a lot of Lark in it (or was it the other way around? )

Name:	Plymouth_Large_2.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1678923
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Sorry, there is NOTHING that looks like a Studebaker.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Name:	Stude1.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1678924
        looks like a Studebaker
        Walter

80 Fiat Spider
        63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015
        60 Hawk sold 2017 in England
        56 Golden Hawk
        56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
        68 Volvo P1800S
        56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

Comment

I just had to google on Brasinca 4200 & it loox like a rear from Avanti & front from a Jensen...
          Google, google, google... sounds like a turkey!

Comment

I always thought that the front end of the 60's Opel Kadett (sold by Buick) had a similar front end to the 66 "Lark type." Not an exact match, but the closest of any other car out there.
            Tom
            Attached Files
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

This Ford has a 66 Studebaker-like grille

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Haven't got pix, but there was a circa-1960 Hillman that carried many tailfin-Hawk styling cues, and a fifties Fiat show car that appeared to have been deliberately copied (at about 5/6 scale) from the '53 Starliner...

EDIT...the "Hillman" was a Sunbeam--was remembering the wrong Rootes Group marque. Sunbeam Rapier, circa 1961. Three-section grille like a blunter Hawk; '53-'58 K-body roofline; '57-8 Silver Hawk-style fins.

The 1966 Stude front end "look" has shown up many a time, including on mid-60s Acadians and late-60s Chevrolet and GMC pickups. There's even a hint of it in modern-day Dodge vehicles, and then there are the Dodge pickups and SUVs that are reminiscent of Stude 3R trucks from head on.

Remember the Chevy LUV light pickup from the 70s? Actually an Isuzu, it looked very like a 9/10-scale Champ minus the early-Lark nose.

The 1970-82 Camaro/Firebird twins carry hints of both the '53 Starliner and the Avanti in their styling. The late-70s Firebird, particularly, echoes the '53 with its narrow twin grilles. There's a hacked-about old Camaro dirt track stocker hereabouts which, if you squint a bit as it barrels around Ohsweken Speedway in the gathering dusk, can pass rather easily for an Avanti! The nose has been flattened out a bit and the rear pillars partly filled in with sheet metal, making the profile at a glance very Avanti-like indeed.

The Jensen has been mentioned already as being rather Avanti-like too. The early Valiant (and Lancer) remind me a bit of my '62 Lark, but excepting the head-on view which is very Lark-like, those Mopars make me think much more of the two Loewy Avanti-theme sedan studies now in the SNM collection. The Valiant/Lancer have always seemed very "French-looking" to my eye...and of course Loewy was French, and Exner worked closely with him for some time, so the link's likely genuine.

Here's an odd one from one of the Hamilton SDCers: anyone else see some of the lines of the AMC Gremlin in the Avanti...? (I think it's the rear quarter window that's similar, but don't see any other resemblance. It'd be funny to put Gremlin X striping and a denim interior on an Avanti though...)

I find it interesting that Brooks Stevens put a Mercedes grille on the '62 Lark--but chose proportions for the grille that wouldn't show up on Benzes until nearly a decade later...how'd he know ahead? An early-60s Benz still has the tall prewaresque "beehive" shape.

And not an overall resemblance in the slightest...but next time you see a GMC Acadia "crossover" SUV, look closely at the taillight lenses. The circular parts appear to have been stolen right off a '63 Lark!

S.
                Last edited by Steve T; 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I always thought that the 1976 Cadilac Seville had lines similar to a GT Hawk. Here is one currently on EBAY.

Comment

The front end on early '40's to early post war (pre-stepdown) Hudsons will make you do a double take thinking its a 41/42 Commander/President

Comment

As previously pointed out here, the Jensen Interceptor and (to a lesser extent) the Maserati Mistral, look like the Avanti.
                      Last edited by JBOYLE; 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM.
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Here's a Hillman followed by a Sunbeam Rapier (I think Loewy's group designed both). The Rapier looks like part Lark and part Hawk (I like it)!
                        Last edited by Scott; 02-06-2013, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Boy, that Hillman looks like "Honey I Shrunk The '55 President"...even the paintwork on that one in the pic reminds me of the two-tone on Cliff "2moredoors" Tattersall's '55.

And the Rapier is the car I was thinking of. Yes, Hawk styling cues on a Lark body...that's what it looks like.

S.

Comment

Name:	1940 Studebaker Commander Cpe Rod.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1678940Click image for larger version

Name:	1940 Lincoln Zephyr cpe rod rt frnt.jpg
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1678941
                            I think there is a strong resemblance between the front end of the 1939-40 Studebaker Commanders and Presidents and the 1938-41 Lincolns.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I've always thought that, too! I forgot about that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X