54 Coupe Quarter Window Repair/Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 54 Coupe Quarter Window Repair/Restoration

The rubber between the glass and stainless rim on one of my quarter window is cracked and I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to fix it. Is there anyone in our Studebaker world that restores these? The handles on both windows are pitted and I would like to improve that as well. I did a search but nothing came up that was helpful but I may not have asked the right question.

Something rings a bell here about such a thread, but it goes back a few years....I think it was a student posting from some sort of a technical or trade school who was restoring a coupe...anyone else remember that thread? IIRC, I think the latches were riveted on, and need to be drilled out before they can be replated. I know this is not much help, but I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on the forum about this subject. Junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I have new rubbers in stock for around the rear quarter windows $130.00 for both sides.
      Robert Kapteyn
      815 722 7262
      studebaker@mac.com

I stock many rubber items for all years studebaker 1937 up.
      Last edited by rkapteyn; 02-06-2013, 07:55 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I remember a thread like that as well and believe it was a student at McPhearson College in Kansas that initiated it. I do also remember that this same college had been working on the restoration of a 53 Coupe.
        Originally posted by junior View Post
        Something rings a bell here about such a thread, but it goes back a few years....I think it was a student posting from some sort of a technical or trade school who was restoring a coupe...anyone else remember that thread? IIRC, I think the latches were riveted on, and need to be drilled out before they can be replated. I know this is not much help, but I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on the forum about this subject. Junior.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
          I have new rubbers in stock for around the rear quarter windows $130.00 for both sides.
          Robert Kapteyn
          815 722 7262
          studebaker@mac.com

I stock many rubber items for all years studebaker 1937 up.
          Thanks for the reply. Mine have new or like new rubber that the window closes into to seal. What I'm looking for is an option to restore the rubber between the glass and stainless rim.

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
            I remember a thread like that as well and believe it was a student at McPhearson College in Kansas that initiated it. I do also remember that this same college had been working on the restoration of a 53 Coupe.
            Thanks Frank. I will look for the thread but if anyone finds it first let me know. Do you know of any quarter windows that might be in excellent condition anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Baker54 View Post
              Thanks for the reply. Mine have new or like new rubber that the window closes into to seal. What I'm looking for is an option to restore the rubber between the glass and stainless rim.
              Go to a long-established auto glass shop. Find an oldtimer.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

No, I don't know of any quarter windows in my neck of the woods in Nebraska Larry but I will keep a lookout for them here in AZ and will ask around this local Chapter if you like.
                Originally posted by Baker54 View Post
                Thanks Frank. I will look for the thread but if anyone finds it first let me know. Do you know of any quarter windows that might be in excellent condition anywhere?
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The correct rubber is available new from Stude vendors. It is necessary to un-rivet the windows to replace the rubber. I did it myself with no prior experience. If, as you say, your window to body seal is flexible and watertight, why cut corners? Is the glass to frame seal for appearance or function?
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                    No, I don't know of any quarter windows in my neck of the woods in Nebraska Larry but I will keep a lookout for them here in AZ and will ask around this local Chapter if you like.
                    If it is convenient you might ask to see what is out there. I plan to do the same in the clubs I belong to. I have never heard a request for quarter windows. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      The correct rubber is available new from Stude vendors. It is necessary to un-rivet the windows to replace the rubber. I did it myself with no prior experience. If, as you say, your window to body seal is flexible and watertight, why cut corners? Is the glass to frame seal for appearance or function?
                      To me it is appearance and function. One of mine is cracked and split and could possibly leak and/or create wind noise. I can apply sealer to it but thought if it can be properly repaired I would do it while it is out of the car.

Comment

Working...
                      X