The Last Avanti-powered Daytona Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Avanti-powered Daytona Convertible

'Ran across these while looking for photos of my own convertible and thought y'all might like a peek. This is what remained of the very last factory R-engine 1964 Daytona Convertible [64V19734] at least 15 years ago (maybe 20; time is going fast any more!):

Yes, this is also one of the 99 Astra White convertibles, and this one has a red interior. It is not a full-package car, but is factory Avanti-powered. The last one ever, as I said; no R-engine convertibles were built after this one.

I don't know its current status, but I believe it is still "in" the club in a reasonably-secure garage. The original R1 and 4-speed are still in it, and it ran off a tank under the hood while I was there. Obviously, it needs a new tub or a buttload of MIG wire! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

WOW !! A Studebaker lightweight ! At least that's what I called one of my previous cars that had what others called rust problems, ha ! I suppose that could also be considered trunk-mounted air conditioning, tho.........

Comment

Pontiac had their "Swiss-cheese" frames for factory drag cars. Seems logical Studebaker may have had similar ideas to reduce weight.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

From now on, let's refer to Studebaker rust holes as "lightening holes". The name has a much better smell to it, don't you agree?
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Bob,
          Your photos made me recall the time I went to see one of these rare Convertibles in southern Michigan after the Minneapolis SDC Meet in 1994. I fell in love with this well restored Astra White R2 equipped with auto floor shift, disc brakes, bucket seats, HD shocks front & back, TT, plus the other usual add ons. I dwelled on a decision after I flew home here to Melbourne & finally said yes to the owner, Bob May. It shipped out with a '64 Avanti arriving late the same year. Serial number was 64V 10513. South Bend only built 24 0f these Convertibles, 12 as R1 & 12 as R2. Our Studebaker assembly line here in Melbourne brought out one of each for potential sales assesment. They both survive today in average condition. I sold mine some years ago & it now lives in Sydney.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
          MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            'Ran across these while looking for photos of my own convertible and thought y'all might like a peek. This is what remained of the very last factory R-engine 1964 Daytona Convertible [64V19734] at least 15 years ago (maybe 20; time is going fast any more!):

Yes, this is also one of the 99 Astra White convertibles, and this one has a red interior. It is not a full-package car, but is factory Avanti-powered. The last one ever, as I said; no R-engine convertibles were built after this one.

I don't know its current status, but I believe it is still "in" the club in a reasonably-secure garage. The original R1 and 4-speed are still in it, and it ran off a tank under the hood while I was there. Obviously, it needs a new tub or a buttload of MIG wire! BP
            Bob, I purchased this car in the early 90's and unfortunately (long story) sold it back to the fellow I bought it from a few years later. I had a donor tub, and bought a complete NOS interior for it including a dash, from Phil Brown. The car has just within the past year or so been sold again, and the new owner is giong to paint it BLUE :-) OH MY! I will post the production order in a day or so.
            Jim
            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

How many more white '64 convertibles were produced in Hamilton?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                Bob, I purchased this car in the early 90's and unfortunately (long story) sold it back to the fellow I bought it from a few years later. I had a donor tub, and bought a complete NOS interior for it including a dash, from Phil Brown. The car has just within the past year or so been sold again, and the new owner is giong to paint it BLUE :-) OH MY! I will post the production order in a day or so. Jim
                Excellent, Jim; I'm glad to hear that it survives and that somebody, sometime, may make a car out of it again. I wonder if they are going to change the interior color, too, since a red interior was not available with either blue exterior. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  How many more white '64 convertibles were produced in Hamilton? Craig
                  Good question, Craig; I don't know. It seems like Cousin George and Art Unger were working on a story about that, but I don't know the status of it. BP

Comment

Not factory but.................

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2201_6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1678911

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2719_6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1678910
                    1936 Dictator
                    1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                    1953 Commander Regal HT
                    1953 2R5 Pickup
                    1947 M16 Truck
                    1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                    1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                    1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                    1962 GT Hawk
                    1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                    1963 GT Hawk R2
                    1964 Daytona Convertible
                    1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Hi I had a call a few weeks ago from the guy who has it now , Sounds like it is getting back together , But according to him it was a lot of work , Ed

Comment

Anyone know the fate of THE last convertible Stude built?
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                          Anyone know the fate of THE last convertible Stude built?
                          Bob, IIRC, the last one built in South Bend [64V20073] is in Australia. It is Bermuda Brown with 4-speed and bucket seats. It surfaced here on the forum a couple years ago. Hopefully, others with a better memory (or Craig Parslow's search capabilities) will pull up the details. It does survive.

As to the last one built at Hamilton Assembly, I do not know the serial number or whereabouts. Hopefully, someone will post that. BP

Comment

Here ya go, Bob!! > http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=bermuda

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              There you have it, Rosco; if Craig can't find it, it doesn't exist. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X