T-85 3 speed OD Transmission Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-85 3 speed OD Transmission Questions

I have a couple of (probably dumb) questions about a T-85 3 speed OD tranny, that I'm told was pulled from a 64 Champ pickup.

Can the a truck T-85 be used in a car? I understand the first gear is quite a bit lower? Is that the only difference? Is it possible to replace the first gear with a higher ratio gear? Or are replacement gears not replaceble, or available?

I have a 289 V8 with a T-85 3 speed OD (out of a '57? Golden Hawk, I think) in my '53 coupe, with a 3.73 rear end - I quite like the set up.

I don't know much about transmissions, so any advice is appreciated.

John
    1953 Commander Coupe
    1954 Champion Sedan
    1963 Lark
    John
    1953 Commander Coupe
    1954 Champion Sedan
    1963 Lark

John, the Champ pickup T85 case is specific to that frame and as far as I know, won't fit in a car.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

John, I have a '64 Daytona hardtop that came to me with a Champ 259 and a T-85 OD tranny in it. I don't know what, if any, special adaptation was done to make it work, but work it does. Has a floor shift, too.

I don't know if they used a car or truck bellhousing, but it's in there and it works to the extent I can drive the car around the yard. Needs brakes, etc. to be roadworthy.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

tomnoller - the T-85 in my '53 coupe has a mounting flange at the front on the bottom, that is attaches to a cross member between the frame rails. When I look at the Champ T-85, I'll check the bell housing bolt pattern and the position of the flange and see if it's different.

Gord - thanks for the comments

Gentlemen, do you have any comment on my gear questions (is the first gear in the Champ T-85 quite a bit lower than the T-85s used in cars? are replacement gears available?)

Thanks

John
        1953 Commander Coupe
        1954 Champion Sedan
        1963 Lark
        John
        1953 Commander Coupe
        1954 Champion Sedan
        1963 Lark

Comment

The car and truck T-85 cases are the same, the low and second speed gears are quite a bit lower and the gears are pricey if found, quite rare. Also the cluster gear has to be replaced to match the other gears.
          Hope this helps, sorry it is not an easy change over! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by jngregory

Gentlemen, do you have any comment on my gear questions (is the first gear in the Champ T-85 quite a bit lower than the T-85s used in cars? are replacement gears available?)
          StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Greetings, John,

The Borg-Warner T-85 transmission was used by GM, Ford, Mopar, IH and many others. It is the strongest 3-speed commonly available. Studebaker used it in the 1956-58 Golden Hawks as well as the 1959-64 289" trucks. The truck transmission internal parts are not interchangeable with the passenger car. The truck has straight cut first/reverse gears and the splines on the mainshaft are also straight. Ratios are as follows:

Truck ratios: 3.17, 1.75, 1.00, .722, rev 3.666
            Car ratios: 2.49, 1.59, 1.00, .722, rev 3.154

The lower first/second ratios mean the truck will pull harder low down with a full load. The passenger car gears are better for general use and high performance. The truck setup will double-clutch easier from second back into low gear. The car setup will shift faster low-to-second.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

Great info, exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.

John
              1953 Commander Coupe
              1954 Champion Sedan
              1963 Lark
              John
              1953 Commander Coupe
              1954 Champion Sedan
              1963 Lark

Comment

Hey JN,
                the T85 truck transmission has an offset bolt pattern. The lower passenger side bolt hole is offset, and is unique to Champ trucks and 56-57 Golden Hawks. The T-85 bell housing can be bolted to your engine, but be sure to dial in the bellhousing to block as outlined in shop manual. It's a simple process and not as complicated as it sounds. Must be with in .003.
                Kim

Comment

I installed a T85 truck tranny in a 62 GT Hawk several years ago (brother now owns the car). Just needed to swap in a custom made truck type drive-shaft, with floating front yoke. Its still running great.

I also have ran a truck T85 in a 56J now for well over 100,000 miles. It only required mod of the pilot bearing and turning the snout (that the t/o bearing rides on) down a few thousands.

I have also had the OEM 56J T85, and prefer the lower 1st & reverse of the truck style. But that's probably because I have always set them up with 3.31 rear ends. With 3.73 or higher numerically, 1st gear would probably be a little too much of a granny gear.

Joe H

Comment

Hi, Joe,

You are the expert with that conversion on the '56J. The OEM 3.90 rear gear in the '56J would give an overdrive ratio of 3.07, exactly the same as the automatic rear gear. Do you find the 3.31 = 2.60 overdrive pulls easily in the '56J? It is certainly a more contemporary ratio.

For Stude V8s, is it a fact
                    quote:the T85 truck transmission has an offset bolt pattern. The lower passenger side bolt hole is offset, and is unique to Champ trucks and 56-57 Golden Hawks.
                    I know the '59 and up C-cab pickups with 289" engines also had the T-85. Which bell housing did you use in your GT swap?

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

JV,
                      IIRC, the T85 overdrive is .72, so the final (over) drive with the 3.92 is 2.82; final drive with the 3.31 is 2.39. Yes, the 352 has no problem whatsoever with the T85 & 3.31 gears.
                      As far as driving the truck vs car version of the T85, the truck model seems more like driving a 4 speed missing 2nd gear. The car model is more like a 4 speed minus 1st.

Joe H

Comment

Hi, Kim,

Can you be more specific as to what is unique to the GH/Champ T-85 bellhousing? I have a T-85 and a T-86 side-by-side and can't see any bolt pattern difference between them. They measure the same to me.

Joe Hall, which bellhousing did you use when you put the T-85 in your GT?

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                        X