Woo-Hoo: 1964 Daytona Set is Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woo-Hoo: 1964 Daytona Set is Complete

Many Forum members have been following my odd quest to accumulate all four 1964 Studebaker Daytona models (body styles) in the same color, Astra White. That quest was completed 115 miles south of Dallas TX in the little town of Eddy on Thursday, January 31, 2013.

I hadn't set out to do this when buying my 1964 Daytona Hardtop 36 years ago, but when I chanced onto a 1964 Daytona Sedan in Astra White in 2002, I thought..."Gee, why not get the other two 1964 Daytona body styles in Astra White and have a whole set?"

The hardtop was built October 23, 1963 and I purchased it September 20, 1977.
    The sedan was built September 23, 1963, and I purchased it August 28, 2002:

You'd think a South-Bend-built Astra White 1964 Daytona Convertible would be the hardest of the set to find, because they only built 99 of them. Fortunately, I was able to acquire one of the 99 from Forum Member Leonard Shepherd Jr. on October 18, 2007. It was built September 5, 1963.

Of those 99 convertibles, 17 were built with black tops and black interiors. This is the first one of the 17, arriving in Brownsburg IN a couple days after purchase from Leonard in Richmond VA:

An Astra White 1964 Daytona Wagonaire, preferably South-Bend built with sliding roof, proved more elusive. (Yes, a fixed-roof version would technically not be a Wagonaire.) I don't know how many they made, but it was surely more than 99. However, wagons tend to be used harder than convertibles, so we would expect them to have a higher attrition rate.

I had looked at two Astra White 1964 Daytona Wagonaires in the last ten years, but, quite frankly, they were grossly overpriced; I mean, terribly overpriced by at least 50% or more...for what they were; everything is worth something.

Finally, with special thanks to Finland SDCer Pekka Polvinen for putting me onto it, my long time (44-years!) SDC friend Howe K. Clark Jr. and I just returned from Texas Friday evening, February 1, with my "new" Astra White 1964 Daytona Wagonaire on the car trailer. Round trip for acquisition was 2,033 miles on the trip odometer.

There were several reasons we had to get it ASAP, so took a chance on the weather and headed out at the crack of dawn Wednesday morning, January 30. Indianapolis had already set a record high temperature for the day earlier in the morning; 65 degrees at 1:30 AM. We got out just in time; within 24 hours it was well below freezing!

God surely blessed our mission for the return trip: On Thursday evening, January 31, there was a bad snow storm that produced a terrible 40-50 car pileup on a stretch of I-70 that we would travel the very next day; Friday, February 1. However, by the time we went through 24 hours later, it was single-digit cold but the sky was crystal clear and the road was bone dry!

Here is the Wagonaire at its new home in central Indiana. It was built October 30, 1963 and shipped to Texas November 8, 1963. So AFAIK, it was away from home almost 50 years until brought back Friday, February 1, 2013:

But the very next morning, barely 8 hours after the above pictures were taken, this is what we woke up to! "No problem;" we were safely back home:

YIPES!

On Thursday, January 31, it had been much warmer in Eddy TX, when SDCer Vic Collingham tendered the keys to the Wagonaire:

The car runs and drives well, but Vic advised that it was sans battery, so I knew to bring my own. Howe Clark was certain to snap an appropriate photo of the battery hold-down being securely in place before the Wagonaire was driven onto the trailer:

Yes, the car needs paint but rust issues are so negligible as to be non-existant for a midwesterner...and I bought the car only 17 miles north of where it was shipped and delivered new: Temple TX. Small world!

Thanks again so much, Pekka, Victor, and Howe.

Now, off to shovel snow...and now that I think of it, I believe that's the first time I've ever seen an overnight snow on the 2002 Dakota Quad Cab I bought new in August 2002! I don't use it for much except trailering; it turned only 38,000 miles on the way back from Texas on this trip, spending most of its time in the Morton Building with the car collection. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 02-03-2013, 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling, note on snow
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Very nice, Bob! But how did that battery jumping warning label end up on the inner fender??!?

Craig

Comment

Congrats BP, it's cool to see you finally complete the quartet. Looking forward to seeing all four of them in a group shot.

Comment

Congratulations!
        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Congrats Bob! One more reason to bow toward Brownsburg every morning.
          1936 Dictator
          1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
          1953 Commander Regal HT
          1953 2R5 Pickup
          1947 M16 Truck
          1960 Lark VIII Convertible
          1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
          1962 Champ 7E5 no box
          1962 GT Hawk
          1963 Lark VI 4 dr
          1963 GT Hawk R2
          1964 Daytona Convertible
          1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Bob

Thanks for the history in the post and congrats on finally finding the missing piece. We rode the back side of that front all the way to Florida after it had expended it's energy and had great driving.

In any case, it appears to be in excellent shape for it's age and I'll be looking forward to more shots as you get further into it.

Well done, Bob

Comment

Congratulations! So now the decision of which to drive becomes even more difficult!
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                Congrats BP, it's cool to see you finally complete the quartet. Looking forward to seeing all four of them in a group shot.
                Thanks, all.

(Right, Matthew; a "family photo" will have to wait for summertime since everyone else is bedded down for the duration...but at least all four are in the same place now. ) BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  Very nice, Bob! But how did that battery jumping warning label end up on the inner fender??!?

Craig
                  Beats me, Craig; I sure didn't put it there! BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Beats me, Craig; I sure didn't put it there! BP
                    I bet if you did, it would now include the sentence, "Both batteries must be secured with hold downs!!"

Craig

Comment

That is just OCD.....
                      (obsessive/compulsive disorder, or old car dimentia?.....you decide!)
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Congrats Bob ! With a good look-over first, it looks like it coulda made it back to Indi under its own steam. Under the hood, it looks like it has never been exposed to the elements, i.e. the hood latch cable & anchors have almost NO oxidation.
                        Good score

Comment

Good work. You must be really pleased with your fleet of '64's.
                          sigpic
                          55 President Deluxe
                          64 Commander
                          66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Well...that certainly explains why it has been so quiet (here on the forum) from the Palma Empire for the last few days!

Welcome back! We eagerly await the coming pictures and reports as you bring this machine back to its former glory!
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

....to me, there is nothing like a snow covered Stude......better yet..driving down the road with the opposing wipers on......parking lights only......I had every reason/intention to be doing just that with my SW 1962 wagon , but I'm not on calender...GL BP !

Comment

Working...
                              X