more oil with zinc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more oil with zinc.

I know this horse has been beat to death, but I got a flyer in the mail today from Advance Auto Parts advertizing Quaker State Defy high mileage motor oil. it says "Boosted zinc for extra protection onhigh-wear surfaces"

I was not happy with Valvoline Racing oil with zddp,so I think I'll try the QS. $3.00 per qt.
    Neil Thornton

Neil did you have any particular issues with the Valvoline Racing? What weight?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Neil did you have any particular issues with the Valvoline Racing? What weight?
      I used 20w50. We have been making a trip to Daytona for the past 5 years in our 63 GT for the Turkey Rod run. About 500 miles round trip. i have been using QS 30w with STP. The old hawks engine is practically untouched. It would use a qt of oil going down, I would top it off and it would be 1 qt low when we got home. This time I decided to change to Vr1. I put 4 qts in it and was 2 qts low when I got home. You might say it changed it's own oil on that trip.
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I will keep an eye out for it.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

good news. My Studes don't need no steenking 20-50 cheers jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Quaker State can say anything they like about their new "DEFY" IF72 months!!!

Comment

I recently picked up some "High Mileage" 10W40 Mobil 1 oil for the 63GT. I didn't read the fine print till after installing it, but it says it has seal swelling additives. That may be good for an engine that is pushing a quart of oil every few hundred miles, but I would not have knowingly put it in an engine with less than 10,000 and all new seals (which I installed myself in the past six months).

Guess will just have to see how it works out.

I normally use 15W50, but this motor block is NOS, and the lifter holes are as new. Most older, high mileage Stude motors have loose tolerances in the lifter holes, and 15W50 has always been my choice for them, year round. But this motor is an exception.

I have never been concerned about zinc r ZDDP.

Comment

So, Jimmijim, what do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                  I used 20w50. We have been making a trip to Daytona for the past 5 years in our 63 GT for the Turkey Rod run. About 500 miles round trip. i have been using QS 30w with STP. The old hawks engine is practically untouched. It would use a qt of oil going down, I would top it off and it would be 1 qt low when we got home. This time I decided to change to Vr1. I put 4 qts in it and was 2 qts low when I got home. You might say it changed it's own oil on that trip.
                  The way that I read this is there was no difference in the oil usage. With the QS you used two quarts for a round trip. With the VR1 you used two quarts for the round trip.
                  It may have used less with the VR1 if the system should have five quarts and not the four quarts that you put in. If that was the case, it only used one quart of VR1 for the round trip.
                  Perhaps you mean that you added four quarts of VR1 during the trip and not that you used four quarts for the change.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Most parts stores that carry the Valvoline VR1 only carry the 20W50 weight but Valvoline also makes the VR1 in 10W30, you may want to ask your FLAPS to see if they can order or stock from their Distributor.
                    sigpic
                    John
                    63R-2386
                    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      The way that I read this is there was no difference in the oil usage. With the QS you used two quarts for a round trip. With the VR1 you used two quarts for the round trip.
                      It may have used less with the VR1 if the system should have five quarts and not the four quarts that you put in. If that was the case, it only used one quart of VR1 for the round trip.
                      Perhaps you mean that you added four quarts of VR1 during the trip and not that you used four quarts for the change.
                      Sorry Gary, I can see how my wording could be confusing.
                      Before each trip I changed the oil and had a full crankcase when I left home.
                      With the QS+stp It consumed 2 qts round trip.
                      With the Vr1 it consumed 6 qts round trip.

My supplier only carries the VR1 in 20w50,or 50w. I chose the 20w50.
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                        Most parts stores that carry the Valvoline VR1 only carry the 20W50 weight but Valvoline also makes the VR1 in 10W30, you may want to ask your FLAPS to see if they can order or stock from their Distributor.
                        I have found one store here that stocks the VR1 10-30. that is what I use in my cars now.
                        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Something that Jim Pepper brought up at last years Intl. was that the VR1 has had the quantity of zinc reduced, and it no longer has adequate amounts in it for our Studes. He also showed us an oil that is manufactured for the older cars in service today. I do not recall the name of it, but it is a quality oil. Bob Palma, do you recall? If not I can contact Jim for the info. More controversy for us to ponder, B.V.

Comment

Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil w/silver label 10W-30 is used in my Avanti. It seems that less oil is being added and oil spots on the garage floor have become less noticeable after three years of using that oil. New seals were installed about six years ago.
                            "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I don't have any studey motors up and running yet but my old 87 mitsubishi montero winter driver I am using four quarts of rotella 15w40 diesel rated for the zinc and two quarts of mobile one 10w30 for excellent starting and oil life.
                              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                              X