Anyone mess with Rambler Americans ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone mess with Rambler Americans ?

Buddy of mine has a 65 American,just wondering what/who is out there with parts.is it anything like we have it with Studebaker parts ? I'm talking mech. and body parts new and used.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

I know Bob Kabchef sure has. He'll likely be along presently... he can smell a Rammer, you know

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

My son has a '67 American and we are parting out a '68 sedan for him. I have not seen a parts network like the Studebaker owners have. I will have him contact you on what he has found. There is a Rambler forum that has been very helpful. It is just for mid 60's ramblers.

Comment

When AMC was bought by Chrysler, the AMC parts inventory was destroyed. I don't think they ever had the parts network that we enjoy as Studebaker owners. I do know that when I heard that the AMC parts were gone, I pretty much lost interest in my Javelin. AMX and Javelin folks are really proud of their parts and their prices reflect that.
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

Use this link: https://www.planethoustonamx.com/AMC...mc_vendors.htm

Lots of AMC vendors to choose from.

Bill

Comment

You will have to send Bob Kabchef a PM. He doesn't do Stove Huggers. Supposedly.
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

International Harvester offered AMC engines as an option in it's pickups and Scouts from about 1969 to 1975. I had a 1970 Scout with the 232 inline six engine. Anyway, there may be some IH light-line vendors out there with AMC engine parts.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I once messed with the owner of a Rambler American. To this day she won't leave me alone!

American Motors biggest issue when they were new was parts supply. Take Jamie's statement to heart. Forty-five years later...what AMC restorers need is probably out there to the patient searcher; just requires a lot more patience--and hugely deeper pockets than Stude collectors.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Here in the mid-west it seems like any salvage yard that keeps older car has at least a few ramblers. For every 10 farms you pass you also see one Rambler in the weeds or behind the barn. Having said that, being the mid-west, the rust monster has taken it's toll.

Comment

I have owned two Ramblers and two Nash autos. The Nash Car Club of America and the American Motors Owners Association are two thriving clubs!
                    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

At least your buddy has a '64 and up car. The engine bays in those cars accept (in general) about any engine. I have a '63 American with the rare one year only hardtop roof. That engine bay is a big problem. Narrow was can be, even most 4 cylinder engines won't fit. Front to back is a problem for any other inline 6. The bores are only 3-1/8" which is about 1/2" smaller than most. Add that up times six and the engine bay is about 3" too short for other (including the AMC 199, 232, 258 and 4.0) engines. The original engines are gutless and very expensive to rebuild.

Yes, there are clubs, suppliers etc. out there. Just need to look around.

Tom

Tom
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

://www.americanpartsdepot.com

American Parts Depot has the largest online catalogue of AMC Parts, They also have many parts cars with used parts also.
                        Very nice staff and I have made several purchases there with excellant results.

husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

Having owned a 1967 Rambler American SW: parts can be a PITA but in all fairness, no worse than a Lark type Stude. And upgrading the Six (199/232) to a newer version with the TorqueCommand along with disc brakes is rather easy using a 1972+ Hornet/Concord, etc. as a donor.
                          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

What do you wish to know? I can help ou with about any question or problem/parts you might need. Have owned several MC and Ramblers since 1970 and sill have 3 Rambler Americans. Have two sons and one Daughter. Each of them has one Rmbler and my (older) son and i both have Studebakers. Nearly anything you want is available, just requires patience and a little more time than Studes. Engine parts, Trans parts are readibly available. As any car certain body trim parts are more dificult to come by. AMc National was in Reno-tahoe area last June, Will be in Denver this August. Wht do you need help with? Be glad to asist you. Michael in California.

Comment

Thanks all for the help here.
                              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                              X