• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Brakes

Hello I have 1955 studebaker commander coupe v8 259 auto trans
    And need to chandge frint brake shoes
    What size of new shoes I have to buy???
    Bool says front drum is 11"
    Also for ross tupe stearing box wich box fluid I have to use??
    Thank you

Hello I also have a 55, you can get you old shoes relined or call Studebaker West 650 366-8787. Go and look over vendors for your other needs.

Comment

Studebaker Vendors at : studebakervendors.com have the Special Steering Box Grease for the Ross Box also the Relined Brake Shoes, New Wheel Cylinders, Flex Hoses and Grease Seals that you will need to do a good job on a 58 year old Car.

Be safe, do it right.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi, Gary.
        The V-8 front shoes are no longer available from any of the chain stores. You will need to get your shoes re-lined. Some Stude vendors have them ready to go for a core swap; others, as well as your local shops, can re-line them for you. SAVE ALL V-8 FRONT BRAKE SHOES FOR CORES!
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          Hi, Gary.
          The V-8 front shoes are no longer available from any of the chain stores. You will need to get your shoes re-lined. Some Stude vendors have them ready to go for a core swap; others, as well as your local shops, can re-line them for you. SAVE ALL V-8 FRONT BRAKE SHOES FOR CORES!
          Or install Jim's Turner disc brake conversion kit (though I do agree with saving the original 11" front drum shoes for a rebuilder/Stude parts supplier). On my 1962 Lark Eight; I was going to do discs but the drums were standard diameter and the front shoes had almost no wear so I replaced the wheel cylinders, hoses, bearings/seals and called it a day.
          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
          X