Grounding the voltage regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Grounding the voltage regulator

My charging system in my 60' Lark works fine. I've purchased a new VR, will install and keep the old one as a spare.

The old VR bolted to directly to firewall, no rubber insulators. My new VR has rubber insulators, and a small threaded hole that says "GRD"

I am thinking I will need a ground wire, which will attach to VR, and to? the firewall? I've doug through old posts, could not find my answer.

Thanks..

Howdy Neighbor (Lark-o) I have a 1958 Lark Vlll 4DR that I will perhaps rob the 259 from in the spring but the rest of the car will be offered to the members of this forum. I did tell Radio Roy He has first dibbs on the stock "White Knobbed Radio and Bezel from the car. The tranny is an Automatic. and the car was never wrecked or abused. Anyone need anything from this car lemme know.

Patrick Sammon in Sedro Woolley Washington State
    Patrick Sammon

Comment

Originally posted by effiedude View Post
      Howdy Neighbor (Lark-o) I have a 1958 Lark Vlll 4DR that I will perhaps rob the 259 from in the spring but the rest of the car will be offered to the members of this forum. I did tell Radio Roy He has first dibbs on the stock "White Knobbed Radio and Bezel from the car. The tranny is an Automatic. and the car was never wrecked or abused. Anyone need anything from this car lemme know.

Patrick Sammon in Sedro Woolley Washington State
      I could be interested in a driver side front fender.. Are u planning on parting the car out?

Comment

Originally posted by lark-o-rama View Post
        My charging system in my 60' Lark works fine. I've purchased a new VR, will install and keep the old one as a spare.

The old VR bolted to directly to firewall, no rubber insulators. My new VR has rubber insulators, and a small threaded hole that says "GRD"

I am thinking I will need a ground wire, which will attach to VR, and to? the firewall? I've doug through old posts, could not find my answer.

Thanks..
        Yes! You do need to ground the voltage regulator. I think the rubber grommets are there to ease the vibration to the VR, but am not sure about that. Some VR's have a metal clip that goes over the rubber grommet to ground the VR to the firewall. If your new one does not, then run a separate wire from the VR to the firewall and make sure the connections are clean. Use a heavy stranded wire, not solid wire.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks for the info, I will do that.

Dave

Comment

Are you sure it's the correct voltage regulator? I'm not saying it can't be, but the originals didn't have rubber insulators and I don't recall seeing an aftermaket one that did either. Why have you decided on changing it if the original is working fine? Just my two cents.

Joe

Originally posted by lark-o-rama View Post

Thanks..
            sigpic

1962 Daytona
            1964 Cruiser
            And a few others

Comment

Hi Joe,

I wanted a spare.. I am planning on some heavy driving this spring/summer.. I have read that a spare VR is not a bad thing to have, the one I have now, is kinda beat up, its an old American Bosch unit.. very old.. I also wanted to make the engine compartment look better..

As far as it being correct, I went to the Bob Johnson site, there is an old VR crossover, I got the number off of this site.

Dave

Comment

The rubber grommets are to alleviate vibration. The best thing to do is run a dedicated ground wire from the VR right to the Gen case. This is what was done by most OEMs. The gen should have a tapped hole in the case for this purpose. The VR will NOT work without a really good ground back to the gen.
                1947 M5 under restoration
                a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
                  The rubber grommets are to alleviate vibration. The best thing to do is run a dedicated ground wire from the VR right to the Gen case. This is what was done by most OEMs. The gen should have a tapped hole in the case for this purpose. The VR will NOT work without a really good ground back to the gen.
                  That sounds good, I will look my gen over to find that tapped hole, is it usually in the back side of the gen? or?

Dave

Comment

heavy driving might require looking into the generator too....also, I think there is a "traveling trunk list" somewhere on what you need to carry in the trunk.....GL

Comment

Usually on the cylindrical part, usually near the middle or near the 2 terminal posts. Not on end.
                      1947 M5 under restoration
                      a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
                        Usually on the cylindrical part, usually near the middle or near the 2 terminal posts. Not on end.
                        Cool.. thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                          heavy driving might require looking into the generator too....also, I think there is a "traveling trunk list" somewhere on what you need to carry in the trunk.....GL
                          Thats a good point GL, I should inspect the Gen as well.
                          I will do this
                          DB

Comment

Working...
                          X