Has anyone ever owned a Edsel ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever owned a Edsel ?

I always liked them just because they were diffrent, I guess I could use the Stude statement "diffrent by design" , I like the 59 over the 58 , that's just me and the 59's went to a lower market to compete with the Plymouth's Ford's and Chevy's to boost market share in 59. vs. the middle market against Pontiac and Olds. in 58 that was a bad year across the board because of the ression.
    Joseph Kastellec

Yep, had a '59 Villager 9 passenger wagon. It ran OK to be so big with the 332 and automatic, smoked like all get-out, and rode like a living room sofa. Cool old car, but we are opposite, I liked the '58 much better. We tried out an ex patrol officers '58 with the E-475, 3 speed, and overdrive while living in Texas. Good thing that I didn't get it, I suppose, it was light in the rear and quite powerful, and I was 19 or 20 at the time, so me and it would have probably ended up in two different disposal yards, ha !

Comment

Nope, but my uncle bought a new one. It was red and white. I don't recall the year, maybe a 59? He liked it.
      Dean

CLEM

Comment

Had one for about a year when I was young. Her name was MS Edna. It was a 59 with a 6 cyl three speed. Had a lot of fun in it. I was a good car, BUT, the styling was nothing like my 53 Stude. And that is being nice. LOL

Comment

Sonny Josker and I stumbled upon the Edsel International Meet a few years ago in Hamburg, NY (Buffalo)...
          It was like the SDC meets were in the seventies.
          Guys were ogling trim pieces from their truck stock...Literally from their trunks.
          But the cars... They were so cool. Salmon, robin's egg blue, all retro colors today...
          I have a wad of pic's on another hard drive...
          Even an Edsel police cruiser....
          Jeff
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Clem64 View Post
            Nope, but my uncle......
            REALLY??????? You gonna pull that one out...among Studebaker folks
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My cousin, Stanley Sharpe, had one. His had a430 ci with the push button drive in the center of the steering wheel.
              A few years ago a buddy who owned a junk yard got in 3 Edsels, a 4dr, a2drht, and a convertible. Don't know what he did with those. i robbed a P/S control valve off one to go on my GT.
              Neil Thornton

Comment

My Dad and I owned 3 58''s and a 59. One 58 was a 2 dr post an all original 60k car. The others were runners but needed work. My dad wanted me to drive one from Scio to Portland without brakes (70 miles). I objected before I got on the freeway or neither the car nor me would be here. After Dad died in 1995, we got rid of them all. I liked the 2dr post, but I had about 12 Studebakers at the time and no room for the Edsel.

I know one of the posters from the LA Chapter regularly drives her 60 Edsel and took tried to take her 58 to the International in SB this past year.

Mark

Comment

There was a '60 Edsel four door sedan for sale in my area a few years ago. I thought it was a very clean looking design.

Comment

My mother once told me that when a popular comedian of the day compared the Edsel grille with a urinal the sales seemed to go down the drain.
                    When I was a kid I remember my Grandmother's neighbor had an Edsel and I would stare thru the window wondering just how in the heck the shift buttons in the middle of the steering wheel could stay upright.
                    I was the kid on the short bus - still haven't grasped the concept
                    Dave Hugo
                    Wellford, SC
                    1940 Champion
                    1950 Champion Coupe
                    1955 President Coupe
                    1963 Lark Custom 2 Door V8

Comment

A friend of my father's bought a 58 Citation covertible black, red interior ,with a white top , nice car ,sad ending about a year latter he was robbed and killed in the car they never found the person who did it.
                      Joseph Kastellec

Comment

My father had a secretary that had one. I don't know if she bought it new..I doubt it. It was a nice copper and white two-tone, but the copper had faded into a pale red or coral.But it must have been a good car, it was stil going strong in the late 60s in Duluth, Minnesota.

Back then Edsel jokes were still a staple of TV comics...my dad warned me notto make any smart alec jokes about it. I didn't.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

59 Ranger 2 door sedan, 6, automatic, PS, lime green with darker green insert, 65,000 miles, sold it 1 year ago to an Edsel collector who drove it home about 200 miles, happy as a clam. Many of the parts were interchangeable with a Fairlane.

Comment

The local Pal theater in my home town gave one away when they were new.. Not sure who won it but doesn't really matter now as both are out of business now..

Comment

Hey Ben, I heard the PAL was up and running again! In Vidalia.
                              Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                              X