PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler "Norseman" lost on the Andrea Doria

JRoberts
01-28-2013, 02:53 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/378136_286891931347624_1265080083_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/378399_287288871307930_1368568316_n.jpg

FlatheadGeo
01-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Most people do not believe me when I mention this story. Thanks for sharing; now I have the proof!!!

Skip Lackie
01-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Well, it's still there. If you're a good enough diver, you could pay it a visit.

Chris Pile
01-28-2013, 04:34 PM
I have known about the Norseman on the Andrea Doria for years.... how could someone not believe?

JDP
01-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Well, it's still there. If you're a good enough diver, you could pay it a visit.

Not much left:

"After 55 years under water, the Andrea Doria has deteriorated greatly. Its upper decks have collapsed over the years. Even if the Norseman had been so tightly secured as to stay in place even as the ship pitched over on its side and sank, it could not possibly have survived the years of exposure to the salt water of the Atlantic. Some reports claim the body was of aluminum. Virgil Exner, Jr. believes it was built of steel. Either way, the body would have corroded long ago. Chances are the car was crumpled as the ship flipped on its starboard side and struck the ocean floor. However, there are a few reports of divers spotting an unusual car within the ship. This, though, is rebutted by professional wreck diver and New Jersey resident, John Moyer, who has made over 100 dives to the Doria to recover artifacts from it. He has even taken some time to try to locate whatever remains of the Norseman, but never did. Unfortunately, there was little time to search. A diver is limited to 20-25 minutes to explore inside the dark and silt-filled hull of the ship. Complicating the matter of searching for the show carís remnants is the tremendous amount of silt which can be stirred by the ocean currents at any given moment, rusted shards of metal which can tear a pressure suit, and the question as to where to look. The Andrea Doriaís manifest shows nine cars were placed in the shipís garage, but whether or not that included the Norseman is not known. That means the garage as well as cargo hold two had to be searched. With the conditions within the ship Moyer could easily have swam past the debris of the show car and never known it. Even though the body of the car was not expected to have survived, parts such as the drivetrain and frame would be recognizable if they could be seen. Smaller cosmetic parts such as the unique wheel covers of the show car probably survived, too, as they are believed to have been chrome-plated brass."

JimsLeadCommander
01-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Thanks "JDP" for that well thought out answer of information.

JBOYLE
01-29-2013, 08:04 PM
The way Chryslers of that vintage rusted...even out of seawater...I'd bet not much is left. :)

Invalid User Name
02-04-2013, 04:28 PM
If the body was aluminum, it may have lasted long enough for barnacles to save it by covering it.

StillOutThere
02-04-2013, 05:47 PM
The Norseman was steel. All the Chrysler concept cars built by the Ghia Carozzeria were steel. The son of the designer, Virgil Exner has stated it was steel. It was steel.

StillOutThere
02-04-2013, 05:49 PM
JRoberts, what is the source of the wonderful artwork of the Norseman being craned onto the Andrea Doria?

ST2DE5
02-04-2013, 05:59 PM
If my memory is right there was also a Plymouth Concept Station Wagon also on the ship.

JRoberts
02-04-2013, 07:09 PM
JRoberts, what is the source of the wonderful artwork of the Norseman being craned onto the Andrea Doria?

I really don't know. I got these images over on the H.A.M.B. Details like you are asking about were not included.

raprice
02-08-2013, 10:45 AM
I remember how upset my dad was when the Andrea Doria sank off the coast. He was a member of the crew that installed the Cinemascope theater on the ship. All he spoke about was the magnificent artwork that was all over the ship.
He was a member of the projectionists union, local 306, which was a father and son union. Dad's regular job was in the booth at the New York Paramount Theater in Times Square. The building, of course, is still there, but now, a Hard Rock Cafe is on the main floor. The marquee is still being used by Hard Rock.

Rog

Warren Webb
02-12-2013, 05:49 AM
The ship was struck in its starboard side if my memory is correct. Such an impact could very well have ripped the car from its lashings and as it sunk done enough damage to it to make it unrecognizable. I have seen first hand what damage can be done to cars at sea. One sticks in my mind was a ship containing Volvo's that had encountered rough seas, so rough that all the dishes onboard were broken. A computer that was slid down into a case on the wall was thrown out. 9 vehicles were totaled on that voyage and scraped.

Bordeaux Daytona
02-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Bunch more pictures on the H.A.M.B. It also says someone was working on a replica. I forgot about that diecast model of it.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392013&showall=1