56-58 sedan trunk mat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56-58 sedan trunk mat

After searching for a year for a sample of a 56-58 sedan trunk mat I gave up and made a pattern of what I believe it should look and fit like. It took several tries to get it just right.
    I have worked with REM to have these mats produced. I had bought one that was supposed to fit these cars on Ebay but it was nowhere near correct, suspect it was for a 55 model. So together with them we come up with a mat as I believe it should fit. See photo below.
    We offer these mats for $79.95 US or Can. dollars plus shipping to final destination. Canada would be tax extra.
    These mats are made of thick pebbled rubber and look great.
    If interested contact me via personal memo.
    Nick
    Click image for larger version

Name:	trnk.mat2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1737967

What happened to the spare tire well? Just cut off of the Pic?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes the spare tire well is at the right edge of the picture. The mat comes up to the well.
      Nick

Comment

What is it made out of ? I have n.o.s. mat for my 58 and it is a kind of basket weaved material.

Comment

Yes they were woven Burtex straw like material.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 5859 View Post
            What is it made out of ? I have n.o.s. mat for my 58 and it is a kind of basket weaved material.
            This one is made of pebbled surface rubber. It only covers the main floor area.
            I did see one of basket weaved material in the 56 President Deluxe at the Museum. That is the only mat I could find in/or for a sedan. All my requests for pattern and/or photo for the last year were unanswered.
            I guess these fabric mats were unpractical and that is why none survived. At least this rubber one gives protection to the floor.
            Could you make a pattern and photo from your mat and send it to me? It is highly unlikely that we could reproduce it but would be nice to have the pattern just the same. The material would have to be able to follow all those dips and dives at the front over the axle hump etc. which means it would have to be woven fairly loosely in that formation.
            Nick

Comment

Originally posted by njonkman View Post
              All my requests for pattern and/or photo for the last year were unanswered. Nick
              Really? So all those PMs between us never happened? Weird.
              I think it'd be better to say that you have not gotten what you were looking for~ yet.

BTW- I'm in SoCal as I type this,
              but I guess there's no need for me to go check on my Packard or Dad's President now.
              You've gone a different route. And that's okay.

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

StudeDave
                Yes you are right that I did not get what I was looking for. Please do check your President, the Packard likely will be different. I have corresponded with everyone I found who had a sedan and looked in every one I found at shows of that vintage and none had a mat in their car. The only mat I found was in that President at museum in SB and that one was woven and I believe impossible to reproduce.
                Although the rubber mat may not be authentic it certainly is and looks better than a bare floor with the gas gauge cover etc.
                Nick

Comment

I remember a few years ago there was someone selling woven mats for a 1956 to 1958. I think it may have been Loga Enterprises. They looked very nice.

T-Cab

Comment

Rene Harger at Southeast Studebaker is making the correct woven mat. A good friend of mine got one recently for his 56 President, after loaning Rene his nice original to use for a pattern.

Comment

I just now saw the replies here, I would not mind taking the time to photograph and measure my mat, if it will help get an item reproduced that is not currently reproduced although according to Matthew, it is already being made. I agree that a rubber mat also looks nice and is better than a bare trunk floor.

Comment

Originally posted by 5859 View Post
                        I just now saw the replies here, I would not mind taking the time to photograph and measure my mat, if it will help get an item reproduced that is not currently reproduced although according to Matthew, it is already being made. I agree that a rubber mat also looks nice and is better than a bare trunk floor.
                        Thanks guys. Just corresponded with Rene and he tells me he is having the material reproduced right now but it is not finished yet and as soon as he has it he will advertise it in Turning Wheels. So problem solved and now we will have two options. Thanks for all your help.
                        Nick

Comment

Originally posted by njonkman View Post
                          So problem solved and now we will have two options.
                          All I have to do now is remember this tid-bit of information when the time comes!!!

I'll need at least four of them.

StudeDave '57
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC