Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Turner Disc drag- Ideas to fix or adjust it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Rear Turner Disc drag- Ideas to fix or adjust it?

1957 President Classic, D44 tapered rear axle, Turner rear disc conversion (Also installed are Turner's front brakes and MC). Rear axle recently overhauled with new seals throughout. Bearing preload set IAW the factory service manual. There are three shims on the right side and none on the left.

With the car on jacks, three of the wheels spins freely, with just a little "ching" from the pads on the disc. When I spin them by hand, they keep rotating for a turn or so. The left rear wheel, however, doesn't take much more effort than the others to turn, but there's a constant brake dragging sound and it stops spinning as soon as I stop turning it. From under the car, I can see that it's the outer (static) pad which is rubbing.

My initial impulse is to shim something, but as any shims under the bearing would move that axle outboard (closer to the rubbing pad), and since the caliper bracket mounts to the inside of the outer bearing flange, any shims under the caliper bracket would move the caliper inboard (also the wrong direction).

Before I start shaving material off the caliper bracket to move it outboard, does anyone have any better ideas?

I guess I could just live with it until that pad wears down a bit...

The caliper should be self centering. It sounds like the caliper is not moving but is hung up on the mount. Just need to remove it and see why it's not moving. The fix should be evident then.

Bob

Comment

I suggest contacting Turner and discussing it with him. Being a nice guy, I am confident that he will help you to work this out.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Drive it up the road 5-10 miles, then stop and immediately feel all the wheels for heat (use back of hand, and do not touch the wheel). If that one, or any other wheel is excessively hotter than the others, there may be a problem. Otherwise, just keep on truckin.

Comment

I love this stuff......
          As noted.......have you tried contacting the manifacturer ?
          Try contacting Turner Brakes.

Mike

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll get with Jim to see what he thinks, but I don't suspect it's an issue with his product but rather some tolerance stackup on my specific installation. I'll check the wheel temps on the next drive, but before that, I might just pop the wheel off and make sure the caliper is floating properly. I checked this during the installation, but that was 6 months ago and I've only driven it 4 times. If this is like most of life's problems, lubrication might be the solution.

MC is the 2 circuit one I got from Turner for 4-wheel disc application. There's a 2psi residual valve on the front and rear lines before the Tees.

Comment

Working...
            X