Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Can`t Raise The Dead....................Or Can You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Can`t Raise The Dead....................Or Can You?

In March of 2004 I was invited to go to a farm in the middle of North Carolina. About 25 of us gathered at a small diner on the road to the farm about 9:00AM and proceeded to the Mother Load of old cars. These had been collected by a local man over a period of many years and his daughter was selling them to pay some bills for her father. To see some of these cars, follow this linkhttp://mccainautomotive.com/TheFarm.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	1937 Studebaker 005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1737958 Click image for larger version

Name:	1937 Studebaker 031.jpg
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1737956

One of these cars was a 1937 Studebaker Dictator. It had been in the woods for many years and was just about rotten but my brother just had to have it. I could see it in his eyes and the cogs in his head were spinning so fast thinking how he would fix the car I swear I could smell bacon. Well he bought it and we brought it to our shop and started the tear down.

Name:	PIC00003.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1737957 Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC00004.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1737959

The first thing was to brace what was left of the body so it wouldn`t fall apart.

Name:	1937 Studebaker 034.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1737960 Click image for larger version

Name:	1937 Studebaker 035.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1737961

The top had been crushed by a tree and the bottom was pretty much gone. The top was removed and the body was going to be sectioned 3". But before this could be done, we needed something to work with so Steve bought another `37 that was on E-Bay. The only problem was that it was a 4 door. I had done a little research and found that the cars were identical in length and by a little surgery,the 4 door could be used as a donor car.

Name:	train.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1737962

After the 4 door arrived, the cutting began.

Name:	cutting the body.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1737963
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sailingadventure; 01-27-2013, 01:53 PM.

You can do anything with cars if you throw enough money at it...
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

• sailingadventure
      sailingadventure commented
      Editing a comment
      iT`S NOT MONEY BUT TIME AND SKILL

Wow; that is amazing! Congratulations on all the hard work. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wow! This is one of those examples we sometimes talk about. About how if it casts a shadow, it can be restored. There was a time I had initiative to take on a daunting project - but not one like this.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

SA

I can't begin to tell you all how much I admire the effort and skill that will be put into that car. One of the prettiest Studebaker's ever IMHO.

Sometimes it's not the money but the effort and the journey to the end product that is the reward. I've used recovering and improving on sick puppys for years to maintain my sanity (Although many may disagree !!). The HAMB is full of projects that started in as poor a condition and have been returned to nice driveable/showable vehicles.

I live vicariously through projects like these (as well as some modest effort of my own) so please forge ahead knowing that you are being cheered from the sidelines as long as you keep the pictures coming.

Bob

Comment

Its tough when you have to bring your" Logging stuff" to get your car out of the woods!..Thanks for saving a few 2 more Studebakers, and for the photos.Good luck.. Mike..

Comment

The car was sectioned three inches and the rusted areas were cut from the bottom of the body.

Name:	cutting out the section.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1678722 Click image for larger version

Name:	after the cut.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1678721

The rear of the body was removed from the 4 door and the cowl was removed from the coupe. The pieces were put together and checked to see where the cuts would need to be made.

Name:	body.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1678723

The top from the 4 door would be used , but it would have to be cut and sectioned to make it work.

Name:	PIC00012(1).jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1678725 Click image for larger version

Name:	Top 4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1678726 Click image for larger version

Name:	top 2.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1678727

It was decided to lean the windshield back to make the lines flow better so it was cut below the windshield and leaned back.

Name:	afte rcutting the cowl.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1678724

The windshield divider was a separate piece on the original cars so a new one was made from some garnish moldings. The distinctive rear window was kept but a divider similar to the windshield divider was fabricated.

Name:	W 2.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1678730 Click image for larger version

Name:	R 1.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1678731

Comment

The back of the body needed a lot of work to eliminate the rusty areas. The rear fenders were to be widened and a lower panel would have to be made. I rolled out the panel on the English wheel and Steve cut and widened the fenders.

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1678732 Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1678733 Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1678734 Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1678735

The car was finally taking shape and it was starting to look like a car again.

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1678736

More to follow.

It was decided to put Corvette suspension on the car and this ment that the front of the frame would have to be modified.

Name:	006.jpg
ID:	1678737 Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
ID:	1678738 Click image for larger version

Name:	3 1 09 006.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1678739

A 401 Buick Nailhead motor was chosen and was rebuilt with all new parts. It was mounted in the frame and motor mounts were fabricated.

Name:	011.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1678740

Comment

Amazing. Beautiful work. I subscribed to this thread. Excellent engine choice.
                sigpic
                '89 Ford Festiva
                '90 Ford F250 4x4
                '18 Kia Soul
                '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Thanks guys, I`ll post some more as I have time. I`m glad you`re enjoying this thread.

Jeff

Comment

Yeah, I could go with that!
                    Or could've... ...if I wasn't so awfully old & lazy.
                    That kinda car doesn't matter how "dead" it is as long as the lines/shape are still there.

Comment

Pre war Studebakers rule the land .........................
                      Well worth saving if you can , specially cause of the cool batwing window ..........

Comment

Hey, hey, guys; check out Joe's Post #1285 to this topic for some inspiration:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

While working on the top, we noticed that the door didn`t have a pleasing shape so to make look a little better it was modified. Here are some pictures of the work.

Name:	Door.jpg
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	1678864 Click image for larger version

Name:	top 3.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1678872 Click image for larger version

Name:	Before blasting.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1678865 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0540.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1678866 Click image for larger version

Name:	door skin removed.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1678867 Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutting the door frame.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1678868 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1678869 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0596.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1678870 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0602.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1678871 Click image for larger version

Name:	Top 4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1678873

Comment

I always love to see old cars abandoned in the woods for years brought back to life. In my opinion, if it casts a shadow it can be rebuilt. (just for about 5 times the cash it would for one that casts a more complete shadow.) I'm determined to get my post-war rust bucket back to life, and it literally came from the Studebaker Graveyard! (zombie car, perhaps?)
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                            X