Is my speedometer accurate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my speedometer accurate?

OK-- so I'm re-doing my 50 Champion. How do I know if the mileage has turned over or not?

Thanks
    Rick

There's no way to tell absolutely, but if the engine is original to the car, then probably not. Most Champion 6s wouldn't last 145K without major work or replacement. Are there any oil change stickers? Any mileages written down in the owner's manual? How badly worn is the floor mat and the brake and clutch pedal pads?
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Of course there is no positive way to know. The only ones that can be "verified" are the cars that the former owners have kept records on the lube stickers, Service Invoices, Parts Bills, Insurance Policies, Titles, notes in the glove box, sometimes written on such things found in the box like Maps etc.

Then there is the "Car", look for wear on the right edge of the brake pedal, left edge of Clutch Pedal, gas pedal, shifter wear, steering wheel, drivers' seat bottom, tires if original, suspension, rear spring bushings, these tell you nothing firm just a clue.

There were a whole lot of these 169 & 170 small 6's that did not survive long, especially '59-'64's and have been parked at an early age so anything is possible.
      Myself I don't concern myself with it much at all. To me the only value in the car is how much use is still left in them, based on the current condition of the components.

When you sell these old unverifiable mileage cars, you just say: "mileage is possibly beyond the Speedometer's Capability".
      Last edited by StudeRich; 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When I saw the topic, I thought that you were inquiring about the speedometer. I was going to sugest using a navigation (GPS) system to check it.
        It turns out that you are really asking about the odometer and its reading.
        I only guarantee mileage on cars that I put all of the miles on. Other than that, it could have a 1 or 2 in front of what is shown, the odometer may have been turned back, the odometer may have been replaced, the reading may be true, etc.
        To me, especially on an older car, condition is much more important than mileage shown, real or not. I often do not even look at the odometer when I am checking a car out.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
        X