Shocks and ride height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: Shocks and ride height

What would be the correct shock number / type for the front my car ? I'm working on getting my 52 commander stance looking right. It's modified as some of you know and I believe the front is about two inches lower than normal. I currently have seven inches ground clearance at center of the front cross member. (to the cast iron chingus)
    I want it slightly lowered without the slammed look so as not to compromise the ride. I took measurements at the wheel wells and in the rear to the bottom of the fender at center of the wheel it is 20" and in the front in the same spot it measures 25.
    Can anyone compare this and let me know what you think ???

Thanks in advance,

Dean.
    Attached Files

Shocks don't set the static ride height, springs do.
    1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
    See rescue progress here on this blog:
    http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yep, been working on this car for a little while, got that part figured out. thanks tho.
      Sorry if my post is confusing it consists of more than that one question.

Dean.

Originally posted by JohnM15 View Post
      Shocks don't set the static ride height, springs do.

Comment

'51-'56 Front Shocks are Gabriel Classic Gas # 82026 available at most Stude. Vendors at: studebakervendors.com
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Are you using the factory suspension with shorter springs?
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I love that style car. But, I'm not real sure what your asking. Are you looking for stock ride height for that vintage? I like the tires and rims, but they may not turn over using your 169.5 cu.in flat 6 hahahahah.......good luck on your project---by the way..what motor do you want to put in there?

RickClick image for larger version

Name:	50 studebaker goofy pic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1678655

Comment

Yes the front springs had been hacked of when i got the car and I then smoothed out the ugly end making them roughly 3" shorter than normal.
              Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
              Are you using the factory suspension with shorter springs?

Comment

Thanks Rich I'll look into those!
                Boss hoss I'm hoping someone with a similar car that is lowered can come in and let me know roughly what theirs measures.

Thank a million guys

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                  Yes the front springs had been hacked of when i got the car and I then smoothed out the ugly end making them roughly 3" shorter than normal.
                  If you have not changed the compressed length of the shocks you should be able to use stock shocks, I would think.

Comment

Hi Dean,
                    I've lowered 2 mustangs, an 88 fox body and a 93 twang convertible. I bought lowering springs for the 93--not a bad ride on that one. I'm assuming the different spring diameter compensated for the short height. But the 88 was a different story. It was like they say( man it was like riding in a lumber wagon) very stiff. Although very fun with the 5.0 HO motor about 400 HP. With a low end 5 speed. I actually let air out of the tires just to calm her down. I don't think I would check on insatlling a mustang front suspension, I might lean twoard a small S-10 P.U. instead Or just stick with the original. Studbaker was way beyond their years in technology. I can give you stock height on my 50 Champion in about a week when the 6.50 by 15 tires go back on.....as Arny said------Verrrrrrrry interesting (if you remember him from laugh in)
                    Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick,
                      I don't think the moostang front is for me, I'm trying to keep it simple other than make it fast. I went with this engine and tranny combo because it was free plus it came with an identical block machined and wrapped in plastic for the final (built ) engine. the one in her now is a stock 85 454 out of a suburban.
                      I would like to know what your stock height is and any others here that might have one slightly lowered.
                      I do remember Arny, saw him once when my mom changed my diaper in front of the T.V
                      Only got a brief glimpse of him though because right after that she walked all the way across the room to change the channel. I clearly remember the clunk clunk of the dial as she changed it. Also remember her being somewhat slim most likely from the walking part.

Har!

Dean.

Ps. Isn't Arney the one who couldn't ride a tricycle ???

Comment

I sold auto parts for 19 years, What we did at that time,was go to back of shock book,look up ends and compressed, extended lenghts, and in your case,we would try to find a shock with same ends and 2 inch less extended,compressed length, If you can find someone today that can read a book and willing to dig it out, you might still get the results. Stock shocks might bottom out if you lowered car 2 inches, I would measure where shocks attach,and try to find shocks with that lenght as a middle number between extended and compressed.
                        Randy Wilkin
                        1946 M5 Streetrod
                        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

If he keeps the stock suspension geometry and only changes the spring length I don't see how he can bottom the shock unless he removes the bump stop rubber.

Comment

Thanks Randy,
                            Might be a challenge here In So. Cal. but at least I can point him/her in the right direction.

Anyone out there with a 47 thru 52 car that is lowered that can use a tape measure plus send a picture???

HAha.

I'll get there.

Dean.
                            Last edited by dean pearson; 01-25-2013, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X