50 starlight coupe trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 50 starlight coupe trunk

Hi Gents, I'm having a problem with my trunk lid, I can't get to close all the way. he upper part(near the hinges) stays up about an inch, when I push down on it it springs back up. I 've even removed the springs still doesn't want to close, these are not the orignal hinges, they seem tight, am I missing something? Thanks

Perhaps sometime in the past, it wasn't lubed, and the hinges bound enough to bend the mounting flange of the hinges (on the trunk lid).
    The mounting pad should be flat, and the area right in front of it should not be kinked.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

You need to purchase new or a good pair of hinges

Comment

This is usually a sign of sprung hinges from lack of lubrication. The easiest and best fix is to replace the hinges.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Left hinge and spring assembly is PN 285496 and the right hinge is PN 285497.

These hinges are for 47-51 Q body (business coupe) and C bodies (Starlight/5 passenger coupe) only. The W and F sedans and S convertibles take a different set of hinges.

Since the trunk lids are different from coupes to sedans/convertibles, this might make sense.

What's interesting to me is that the hinge part number changes for 52.

The point of this is that you can search for hinges for 47-51 five passenger coupes and three passenger coupes, but do not get any from a sedan or convertible. That should widen your search parameters a bit.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Maybe your Starlight has sedan hinges (you mention that they are not original) [the hinges are different]. .
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The hinges from the 2dr sedan are completely different, I have one for a parts car. I think new hinges are needed, can anybody help with this? Thanks for the p/n's I thought the 52's would work too. One more thing, i have all the glass & trim for a 2dr sedan(2 pc windshield)except doors, cheap....Thanks again Pete

Comment

Pete, Check this post: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ht=trunk+hinge. I finally found that the hinges needed to have a shim placed at the mounting point where they are bolted to the body. By placing the shim at the rear of the mounting point the trunk lid will tip down to meet the trunk opening. I will get back to you with photos of how this was on my car. This is the other post that I referred to http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...tarlight-coupe Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X